Highlighted
Russman68
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 15 7548 not powering on

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me diagnose my laptop. Out of no where it will not boot up. The power LED on the power button lights up when I hold it down but the screen stays blank. No other LEDs show, if the power cable is connected then the large LED at the base of the laptop lights up.

If I test the screen by holding ‘d’ when turning on then the screen switches through multiple colours so I assume the display is fine. I have tried removing the battery and draining the power then re-attaching the battery. I have also tried removing and replacing the RAM.

Can anyone suggest next steps to identify the issue? I feel I may need a new motherboard but want to exhaust all other options first.

Thanks so much!

4 Replies
Russman68
1 Nickel

RE: Dell Inspiron 15 7548 not powering on

Just to add, the fan does not start at any point.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Russman68,

Thanks for posting

Apologies that your computer is not working as expected. Please check to see what happens when an External monitor is connected.  This will help determine if it's the LCD or the Graphics card.  If you are able to run the screen diagnostics, have you tried pressing F-12 and running a complete system diagnostics?

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Russman68
1 Nickel

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for your response, i have checked and when an external monitor is connected through HDMI there is still nothing displayed. However as i mentioned, when i press the power button with the 'd' key pressed it will cycle through different colours on the screen.

I dont get an option to press F12 as i dont even get to the boot\BIOS menu.

I hold down the power button for a few seconds and the power button will light up, no other lights show at all. the power button will stay lit but the fan does not start and there are no other noises, nothing displays on the screen at all.

I have found a replacement motherboard for sale on ebay but it is £200 delivered so i would rather make sure that it is the motherboard that is the issue before i buy it.

Thanks again!

Russman68
1 Nickel

Anyone else able to confirm that this issue is with the motherboard?

Thanks!