Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2016 10:00

Dell Inspiron 15 (7569) Weight on palm rest presses button.

Hi all,

I have an issue with my new Inspiron 15 (7569).  If I am sitting in bed, for example, my palms put a little more pressure on the palm rests.  The enclosure actually presses down the left-click button!  This causes two separate use issues for me.  First, it makes it so that there is no "click" to the button when I want to use it (because it is already in the down position, being held by the enclosure), and second, it causes my cursor to jump around... the cursor/pointer may just be somewhere on the screen out of the way while I type, for example, but when the enclosure "presses" the left button it forces focus to wherever the pointer is at that moment.

This is clearly a hardware flaw, as there should be some internal support closer to the buttons to keep the palm rests/enclosure from pressing down on the button.  

What recourse do I have at this point?  How do I know that if I exchange this for a different model I won't just have the same issue again?

1 Message

August 6th, 2016 11:00

I have this exact same issue on my Dell Inspiron 7569.  I have to hover my hands over the palm rest instead of letting them rest, like normal.  It's so annoying.  Dell, please respond to this!

UPDATE: So it's not the weight alone of wrists/palms on the palmrests that causes the problem.  I noticed that if I used a lap desk, or used the laptop on the table, the bottom of the laptop would be prevented from flexing, and the problem would not occur.  More investigation showed that I could make a track pad click by either slightly deflecting the laptop, pushing the outsides slightly down and the center slightly up.  The same behavior occurs when you use your thumbs and index fingers to squeeze slightly from both above and below the laptop, about 2 inches to the sides of the center of the trackpad.  Both of these tests emulate what's occurring when you use the laptop on your lap directly without a rigid surface to support it.

It's a hardware problem... no idea how to fix it.  Dell?

No Events found!