Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2017 08:00

Dell Inspiron 15: Headphones not working, sound comes through speakers when plugged in

It's as if it doesn't detect the headphones. It says my Realtek audio driver is up-to-date. When I go to manage audio devices, there's only one device listed called "Speakers / Headphones", so I don't know if when I plug my headphones in it's supposed to detect it separately. I've tried multiple headphones, all of which work with other devices. Also, there are two drivers listed under "sound, video, and game controllers". One is Realtek Audio and the other is Intel(R) Display Audio. Should I reinstall them both? This is a new laptop that I got to replace my old laptop which had (different) sound problems, so I'm very frustrated and at my wit's end, help is appreciated, thank you.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2017 14:00

Had the same problem with no popup and only working when I rebooted with them plugged in. I was able to fix this by uninstalling the driver and allowing Windows to reinstall it automatically. Don't really have an explanation why that worked, but now it gives me the popup every time without issue. This was a few weeks ago but I also switched to the windows creators update around the same time. So that is another possible explanation.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 13th, 2017 15:00

First, make sure the headphone cable is fully inserted...

Then you show get a popup to allow you to select the device if you are using a Combined Audio Port.

If you aren't getting the popup, check the task manager to see if on the Startup Tab a Waves MaxxAudio entry is set to enabled.

If you look at the processes tab you should have two entries for Waves, one blue square and one green circle.

1 Message

January 14th, 2017 23:00

I have an exact similar issue with my laptop and it is super frustrating!..I checked the Startup tab as suggested and it looks fine. The processes tab, however has two entries but it doesn't show two different ones as you mentioned above. Is there anything that I am missing here?

Thanks for your help!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 15th, 2017 07:00

I wish the OP would get back but if you have the entries in the attachment you should be getting a popup.  This is for a system with the combined audio port which does not have an option to turn off the popup.

The only way I know of to get the headphones to work without the popup is to plug them in and reboot.

No Events found!