Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2013 06:00

Dell Inspiron 15 Intel (N5010) Battery is Plugged in but not charging.

Hello,

I just replaced my old charger with a new one (because the old one was broken). 2-3 weeks i was using different version of the charger and i got  message that my laptop wont work perfectly and the battery will not charge. NOW when i got the original charger everything works fine but the battery still wont charge. 

I got this Warning: the battery is not recommended for this system, the system will be unable to charge this battery. 

I tried to update the BIOS but to do this, the battery must  be >10% , my battery is at 0%.

Any other solution? 

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi AntonioSt,

Please consider replacing the battery on your system to fix the issue.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 26th, 2013 08:00

Hi AntonioSt,

Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times
3. You will now be on the BIOS screen
4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then please update the BIOS again on the system.
7. Also, please check for Battery Health status in the BIOS.

3 Posts

October 26th, 2013 10:00

Hello,

First of all thanks for answering my question...

The adapter Type in BIOS is: 90W.

I can't update BIOS because my battery is about 0%.

Also, how to check the Battery Health?

Thanks 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi AntonioSt,

It looks like it’s an issue with the battery on the system. I would suggest you to run the test on Battery on the system.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/14YjKb2

2.       Select ‘Hardware’ under ‘Choose a Diagnostic Type’.

3.       Select ‘Battery’.

4.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.
5.       Let me know if the results.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2013 09:00

Hello,

I just made the Diagnostics and i got this result: 

BatteryTestResult

It looks like the Battery Life Test has Failed.

Thanks for your advices.

1 Message

May 11th, 2014 06:00

I was having the same issue with my Inspiron N5010 "plugged in not charging" wouldn't update the BIOS because of the 0% battery. Tried 2 different chargers and 3 different batteries I had. I went into the BIOS and under the Advanced tab there was an option for "Charger Behavior". That was disabled. I set it to enable, rebooted and now the battery is charging.

1 Message

July 17th, 2014 10:00

I have N5010 and i was getting problem with charging my battery.my laptop should remain plug in.but now am not able to use my laptop anymore even if it remain plug in.i change both the charger and the battery still am not able to  charge my battery.when i plug in,the green light on the adaptor turns off.Please advise

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2014 12:00

When the LED on the adapter goes out when you connect the system end, it means the mainboard is bad.

October 24th, 2014 03:00

Hello,

I have a similar issue that I can't get my head around.

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 with a genuine charger, and genuine battery. When I plug in the charger it is charging, at least the windows says that it is charging, but the battery percent is not going over 0% at all. I had it plugged in for a whole night and it still says 0%, and charging.

I have run the diagnostics on it, and the battery has passed. Bios is checked to be able to charge.

Please advice! Thanks!

October 1st, 2015 20:00

I know this is an old post/thread but perhaps someone knowledgeable can elaborate on the comment about the mainboard?

I've reclaimed my daughter's N5010 after 4 years of hard use at college. Everything works fine except that it charges intermittently. I replaced the daughterboard with a used one from a recycler with the thought that the problem might be the physical connection. The case was cracked slightly on that corner so I surmised that it had been dropped. (Big surprise.)

I bought a replacement battery which, when it charges, the computer says has a normal life. But it's discharged now and I can't get the computer to recognize that the charger is plugged in. The BIOS says there's no AC adapter. The BIOS is the most recent so I can't update it. The update utility won't let me reinstall the same version but I doubt that would matter, anyway.

So, what about the mainboard is likely to be bad? I know it's an old laptop but at this point I'd rather not dispose of it, having bought a new (used) outer shell and LCD bezel, daughter-board, battery, and charger.

It has worked after installing the replacement daughter-board so I believe that replacement is okay. I just replaced the outer case, completely disassembling and reassembling the computer. The charger wouldn't work immediately before I started so that process, alone, didn't break it. When reassembling I sprayed the external port connections (power, USB, etc) with electrical contact cleaner, then blew them out with compressed air. I'm confident they were clean and dry when reassembled.

What next? A new (refurbished) mainboard? Can I test something else first?

Thanks

No Events found!