Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2017 17:00

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop "your device needs to be repaired" but don't have recovery USB

My Dell Inspiron 15 (5000 series, model 5558) laptop is coming up with a Recovery screen that says "The Boot Configuration Data for you PC is missing or contains errors" (error code:  0x000014c).  It says to use Recovery tools...but I don't have a Recovery Tool USB.  I tried to download the Dell Recovery Tool program and install it on my other PC, but it is a Toshiba, and it says I cannot install on a non-Dell computer.  

How am I supposed to create a recovery tool if I don't have a working Dell??????  This is madness!!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2017 18:00

hard drive may be going bad.

The Recovery Tool program does not need to be on a Dell PC. You do however need a Windows PC.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln299044/how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-windows-recovery-image?lang=en  

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 06:00

You really think so?  hard drive going bad would at least be an easy fix.

When I downloaded the Dell Recovery Tool and tried to install it, it said it cannot be installed on a non-Dell.  If it does not need to be on a Dell PC, then I don't know why it would say it.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 07:00

You really think so?  hard drive going bad would at least be an easy fix.

When I downloaded the Dell Recovery Tool and tried to install it, it said it cannot be installed on a non-Dell.  If it does not need to be on a Dell PC, then I don't know why it would say it.

Maybe you are confusing the Dell OS Recovery Tool and Dell Backup and Recovery.

Two different pieces of software. You had better know which is which.

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 16:00

You are absolutely right...I was using the wrong one.  OMG

I only said the hard drive would be easy because we don't store anything on this computer.  Don't crucify me, but I am a Mac guy...my son uses this computer to practice for Cyber Defense Competitions...I never use it so never store anything on it.  Thank you for the help and advice.

No Events found!