Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2013 22:00

Dell Inspiron 15 microphone does not work

I think there is a combo webcam microphone built-in.  The microphone will not work.  I have checked all the settings - everything is turned on, volume is up - have rebooted, checked drivers, etc. etc.  No luck whatsoever.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 30th, 2013 05:00

Hello.Re-install your audio driver. Next, go to the Recording tab of the Sound properties -- right click on the audio icon on the taskbar (path will be different if you have Win8)

and then right click on the blank white area and in the context menu select to show both "disconnected" and "disabled" devices.

If "microphone array" or "internal mic" shows up then select it as the default recording device.

If you still don't get "mic array" then open the Dell Webcam Central program that should be on your computer and click on the mic icon (it is hard to see -- look to the right of the camera icon) and see if you can start the mic array from there. Note that if Webcam Central says "Plug in a supported device" then either you don't have a webcam or it is not working.

If still no luck then the mic array might have become disconnected. Contact tech support to schedule a repair if you are under warranty. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/contact_technical_support?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&DoNotRedirect=y

If you need more help then please reply back with your full model name and the name of your operating system.

The Dell "15" models are: Inspiron 1545, 1546, 1564, M5010, N5010, M5030, N5030, N5040, N5050, 3520, 3521, 3537, and 7537.

June 25th, 2015 07:00

hi

my laptop is inspiron 3537

and my laptops microphone is not performing the other side is complaining regarding low volume

please resolve my issue

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 25th, 2015 09:00

my laptop is inspiron 3537

Operating system?

Check the levels. I don't have a screen shot of it from a model with Realtek, but here is the path from one with IDT audio.

2 Posts

July 9th, 2015 19:00

I had exactly the same problem.  Very poor volume on sound recorder and heavy background noise in the playback.  Zero volume in Skype.

Despite all attempts to diagnose the problem using the Dell diagnostic facility and changing all the audio settings, it became evident that there was a hardware problem - CAUSED BY FAULTY ASSEMBLY.

The microphone/webcam unit mounted in the frame of the laptop had been installed incorrectly in the factory and it was jammed down behind the screen frame.

Technician replaced a new unit in the correct position and it is now functioning satisfactorily.

From the many complaints reported on the blogs, it would appear that Dell clearly has a problem in manufacture.  

2 Posts

July 9th, 2015 23:00

My Inspiron 15 had the same problem.  It was caused by the microphone/webcam module being caught behind the frame of the screen during assembly.  Tech replaced module in correct position and the problem was resolved.  Online diagnosis and tech support confirmed it was a hardware issue not settings.

1 Message

April 25th, 2017 11:00

Had the same problem, in my case mic and webcam were disabled in BIOS settings for some reason. Enabled them and it is now working.

No Events found!