Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

December 17th, 2008 11:00

Dell Inspiron 1520 Hardware Upgrades

Hi gents.

I have a Inspiron 1520 and would like to upgrade the CPU and GFX card.

The CPU I currently have is the Intel Celeron 540 1.83Ghz and the GFX card is a Intel X1300.

I've emailed Dell with my service tag so they can tell me what CPU's my motherboard will handle.

My question you guys is, are all the motherboards the same? if they are what CPU's will my machine handle and also what GFX cards will my machine handle for upgrades.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Alex

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2008 05:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-5:

Unless there's a newer compatible motherboard with better graphics, I'm afraid you're stuck with what you've got, because the graphics are supplied via a graphics chip soldered onto the motherboard, rather than a separate graphics card, such as you find in a desktop system :emotion-6:

3 Posts

December 18th, 2008 10:00

Thanks.

Yeh I'm a pretty experienced tech when it comes to desktops, laptops is a new relm to me.

However per this manual, http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1520/en/sm/graphics.htm#wp1179839 it suggests the card is removable and upgradable?

And per other threads on here, I believe other people have upgraded them.

I've not pulled this machine apart yet, and don't intend to unless I know for sure they can be upgraded.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2008 14:00

I had a thought,

On a desktop, you could have the on board and then install a better card, and choose which one in windows.

Is this possible per that above link?

1.6K Posts

December 19th, 2008 09:00

To upgrade to an nVIdia 8400 or 8600 (the only options) you'll need a card (proprietary, Dell only) and you'll need to replace the mainboard - the mainboard that ships with the integrated video has no card slot.  Taken together, the cost of the parts will exceed $400.

No Events found!