Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 18:00

Dell Inspiron 1520 Software and Hardware Upgrades

I have been having problems with my 1520 Inspiron which came with Windows Vista HP since about mid February 2009.  Whenever there are automatic upgrades to Vista HP the computer shuts down and whenever it starts up it goes into search and repair mode. I recently started working with a Windows Tech support person and she has asked me to find out whether Dell has had any upgrades on any of the software or hardware since I purchased it in Nov 2007. Where would I find this info and where would I go to get these upgrades other than having to pay a Dell tech support person to just answer this question which they have informed me that I must do. I only want to know if there has been any upgrades and if they are available on line and is there a charge for them and how much. Since MS provides free upgrades on Vista, would it not make sense that any Dell upgrades on their computers with Vista HP, that Dell also provide free upgrades. I have never received any info on upgrades since purchasing this unit even when it was still under warranty.

2.5K Posts

May 28th, 2009 19:00

Windows 2000/XP and Vista are updated by Mircosoft through a function in your operating system called Automatic Updates (for Windows XP, which is integrated into Windows Update on Vista) and through websites called Windows Update/Microsoft Update, e.g., security patches, updates to Windows components, and service packs (service pack 2 update is now available for Vista).  Some hardware driver updates are also optionally available if the vendor decides to release through Microsoft, but I find the versions are not as new as the drivers being released through the hardware vendors websites.  You can view your update history by clicking a link on Windows Update/Microsoft Update.

Dell, on the other hand, releases updates to hardware and to some software installed on your computer, e.g., new versions of display and audio drivers are updates to your hardware, while updates to MediaDirect are software related.  You can find the latest updates to your system for download and install manually by clicking the "Drivers & Downloads" link at the bottom of the page.

Other applications, whether bundled by Dell on your computer at factory or you installed on your own, can also update on their own, e.g., Roxio Creator, antivirus, firewall tools.

4 Posts

May 29th, 2009 04:00

Hi Esquire

Thanks for your reply! You mention availability of upgrades through Drivers& Downloads link at "bottom of page" . What page are you referring to?

Thanks

4 Posts

May 30th, 2009 08:00

Thanks

I found the updates and installed the ones that I thought I should have and then went back to my original problem and with the expert help of a MS professional I was able to fix my problem. If only Dell were so obliging! I will never purchase another Dell product and will advise anyone intersested in purchasing a new computer to stay away from Dell.

2.5K Posts

May 31st, 2009 18:00

I'm sorry to hear your experience didn't go as smoothly, but you should realize in most instances, even with other brands, tech support staff may not be equipped to deal with all software problems every customer encounters, whether they read off from a script somewhere in another part of the world, or not, which is where discussion boards like Dell Community can be a valuable resource for customers to pull their knowledge and experiences together to cover areas tech support cannot reach.

4 Posts

June 1st, 2009 04:00

In my case. Dell Tech support were not willing to even consider my problem unless I was willing to pay them $59 even to answer yes or no or I don 't know, when I asked them if a certain error discovered while doing a diagnostic check would contribute to my problem. It was not a case of whether they had the technical expertise or not. The MS Tech support were most willing and cooperative in resolving the problem, in fact insisting that the problem had to be resolved to my (customer) satisfaction. Apparently, Dell do not realize what a customer means  to them.

No Events found!