Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2010 14:00

Dell Inspiron 1520 get's hot at bottom of the screen

Hi there, I noticed recently that my 3 year old Inspiron 1520 is quickly getting very hot at the bottom of the screen right where the silver DELL logo is, I also noticed that the screen is much less brighter than other laptops I've seen, so is this normal or might it be a malfunction? And if so what should I do?
A little help from the experts would be appreciated very much, thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 12th, 2010 15:00

That's where the inverter (backlight power supply) sits - that would be the first thing to replace.

539 Posts

November 13th, 2010 08:00

If you are starting to see a black spot on your screen then it's probably a dying CCFL tube.

The black spot is caused by the heat.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2010 08:00

Thanks for the reply, but how should I do that, are these things universal and can I change it myself or should I go to a repairstore for that? A little more information would be nice thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 13th, 2010 12:00

The inverter is a small high voltage power supply for the backlight.  It  is proprietary not only to the system but to the screen you have - you'll have to remove it to source a new one.  While it's possible the backlight itself is at fault, that's a much more expensive repair than the inverter.  Remove the display  panel and you'll see a small board behind the screen - that's the inverter.  You'll need its part number to search for  a replacement.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2010 12:00

No I don't see any black spot at all, the screen is very normal only much less brighter than other laptops like my new Inspiron 5010, I don't know if it is supposed to be like that, I didn't really notice any difference compared to when it was new, just compared to other laptops like I said.

No Events found!