I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop with Windows Vista Basic. Today after plugging in a headphone set both the speaker and the headphone sound stopped working. I have not changed any audio settings but checked them anyway and nothing was turned off or muted that I could see. I have tried downloading and re-installing the audio drivers from the Dell support site but when I go to install them I get an error message saying that 'This is not the correct audio driver for this system. The installer will now exit.'
Any suggestions to get the sound working again?
Try using System Restore. Try running the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to rule out hardware failure. See the "No Audio" FAQ for details.
I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade and since the upgrade I have not been able to view utube and now I have lost all sound.
I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 u
Hello. Is your laptop an Inspiron 1525? Dell does not recommend installing Win10 on that model. Dell says, "If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected."
If you wish your laptop to work correctly, revert it back to the previous operating system. There are instructions on the internet for doing that.
I have not been able to view utube
Can't help you with that.
and now I have lost all sound.
Install the Sigmatel audio driver. Of course there is not a Win10 version of the driver so you have to try to install the Vista driver by using compatibility mode.
1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Vista."