Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2013 21:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 (Vista 64-bit) - Microphone Array missing but Internal Mic shown

Hello,

I notice that sometimes, my Inspiron 1545 (service tag: 9MXP9H1 and Vista 64-bit) has two different mics. As of right now, it has this: 

Sometimes, "Internal Mic" is "Microphone Array", which is a better microphone than "Internal Mic". The mic right now is very fuzzy and staticy and does not pick up my recording audio very well. If I talk into the mic, you can hear me very faintly as there is a static that overpowers the voice. 

However, when "Microphone Array" is the microphone, the recording audio is fine and there is no static noise. My friends on Skype can hear me much better when the mic is "Microphone Array" rather than "Internal Mic". 
Please note: I am NOT talking about the Line In Microphone.

My question is, how do I keep the default microphone as "Microphone Array" and not the microphone shown in the picture?
I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest audio drivers, but they have not worked.
The current driver version is: 6.10.0.6272

Also, side note: 
When I click 'Microphone Enhancements', it only show an option for 'Acoustic echo cancellation'. I remember the Microphone Array mic has the Light Beam Microphone Enhancement and wish to enable that. 
It also says AndreaElectronics near the bottom after I click 'Microphone Enhancements'.  

Here are the drivers that I have in my c:\dell\drivers\ folder: 

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Justin

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 10th, 2013 05:00

I notice that sometimes, my Inspiron 1545 ... has two different mics

Does this happen spontaneously, when you have not made any changes?

Your model, when equipped with the optional webcam, has the mic array in the display frame in addition to the mic in the base of the laptop. The mic array is part of the webcam which uses the Creative Labs 1.3 MP Camera driver R198114. I don't see that driver in your screen shot of the driver folder, so if it is not installed you should download and install it. Also, look in your programs for Webcam Central or something like that, that has the settings for the webcam.

My other thought is to right click on a blank area of the Sound properties to see the sub-menu, then select to show disconnected and disabled devices and see if the mic array is there. If you find it there, enable it and set it to be the default device.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest audio drivers, but they have not worked.
The current driver version is: 6.10.0.6272

You might try a different version. The drivers & downloads page for the 1545 is messed up and I doubt that all of the drivers there are the correct ones. I know for sure that the "current version" for XP is the wrong driver. I don't know about Vista. It is showing the newest driver for Vista to be the R264250 dated 2/7/2012, but the current version you have is R312650 dated 9/18/2011. The R264250 version was there a couple of years and then removed -- it had problems -- but now someone has put it back on the downloads page with a new date. If you want to try a different version click on "previous versions" and pick one that is neither of these two.

3 Posts

January 10th, 2013 08:00

Yes, this happens spontaneously but for most of the time, it stays as the Internal Mic and not Microphone Array.

I tried installing the camera driver, but it said that I already have the current or a more updated version. Should I proceed with the installation anyway?

Also, I do have Webcam Central. However, I'm not sure what you want me to do with it.

I have right clicked and showed disconnected/disabled devices. It does not show up.

I tried a previous version of the IDT-Driver (9/18/2011 driver) and it still had Internal Mic as the mic and not Microphone Array.

I have tried to install driver R264250 and it gives me this screen:

I am going to restart and try again.  

3 Posts

January 10th, 2013 09:00

As of right now, I have driver 6.10.0.6272 installed: 

This still gave me the Internal Mic and not Microphone Array. 

Also, before installing this driver, I downloaded and installed driver 6.10.0.6047, A02 and it still gave me the Internal Mic instead of Microphone Array. 

Perhaps you could post the requirements for the Microphone Array and download links to the right/correct audio drivers.

I am running on Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64-bit.  

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 10th, 2013 12:00

Perhaps you could post the requirements for the Microphone Array and download links to the right/correct audio drivers.

Sorry don't know of a specific driver that would fix your problem. As far as the requirements, they are all supposed to support the webcam. Since you have Webcam Central try this

1. Click Start
   2. Click All Programs
   3. Click the Dell Webcam
   4. Click Webcam Central to start the program.
   5. In the lower right-hand corner of the Dell Webcam Central window, click the drop-down arrow next to the picture of the microphone. Select Microphone.  Make sure it is not muted.

If that does not help, you might have a loose mic connection which is suggested by the fact that the problem is intermittent. To check the connection may require loosening of the bezel around the display screen.  If you attempt that be careful to not  disturb anything other than the connection. It might need to be reseated. You can get the service manual here.

Before doing that you might want to return the laptop to its original factory configuration.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

If that does not fix the problem then it is definitely in the the hardware.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 10th, 2013 12:00

Oh and do install the Creative webcam driver . If you already have it then re-install it just in case it has become corrupted.

No Events found!