Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2014 10:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 Wipe and Reload ... WITHOUT Windows Product Key or Dell Reinstallation DVD

Long story short, I have to rebuild a laptop for a client of mine. The Windows licence sticker is missing from the laptop, she doesn't have the reinstallation DVD and didn't create a set of recovery disks. The laptop is out of warranty by four years and the DVD isn't available from Dell outside the USA. To add insult to injury, the client's brother installed a regular copy of Windows 7 over the top (no key, not activated) so the usual method (F8, repair computer, factory restore) is not available as the recovery partition is gone. Unable to download an image of reinstallation DVD I bought a legitimate Dell Windows 7 DVD off eBay and I'm waiting for it to arrive and wondering if a Windows key is required or if the DVD will locate the service tag and reinstall and activate with no issues. The client has returned from holiday and is asking for her laptop back and I'm fretting that I'll need to buy a Windows key as well. Reassurance, if you please....

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2014 10:00

Look inside the battery compartment.  You'll see the license code.  You CAN use a non-Dell disc BUT it must be the same version the key is for.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 29th, 2014 11:00

It'll be a Windows 7 Home Premium System more than likely. Check the COA under the battery, Dell put them there to prevent fading.

My guides address these issues. Follow the instructions to download a Retail Digital River .iso and use the ABR files to convert it into Dell Reinstallation media:

Use this media with the ABR program and ABR files as I instruct and you will get an install that's identical to that of a Dell Reinstallation DVD using Dell SLP BIOS activation with no need to call Microsoft. Completely identical if you apply the themes.

I advise following the rest of my guide:

I have also been testing the latest version of Dell Backup and Recovery which now will work on A Clean Install. So once setup with Windows activated with ABR and the drivers and all the updates see:

This will give you the means of the F8 quick recovery and the ability to make installation media with DBAR for future reference.

July 30th, 2014 11:00

Thank you all, perfect!
No Events found!