Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2010 07:00

Dell Inspiron 1564 won't come out of sleep or hibernation mode.

When I put the computer to sleep or in hibernation, nothing can bring it out of it (e.g. mashing buttons, pressing power button, clicking on screen, moving touchpad). I just have to hold the power button and restart. I updated to the latest bios but it didn't help. This is a really annoying problem. Does anyone know how to fix it?

5 Posts

December 31st, 2010 11:00

I managed to fix it.

Basically it was the newer RealTek drivers. I completely uninstalled the WLAN and the Realtek LAN drivers. Removing/Uninstalling them from device manager, uninstalled any entries in Programs. I think restarted, installed the drivers from the Dell Website. I went into PowerCFG and forced Hibernate off totally. 

Now when i close my lid my laptop powers off the LED lights show its in low power mode and it manages to come back to life when i open the lid.

I hope this is the fix. But am not entirely sure as it's hard to diagonse something like this.

Hope it helps!

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 22:00

I am realizing now that it never actually sleeps. The power light does not flash slowly meaning it is still "awake". The screen still turns off and won't come back on.

5 Posts

December 30th, 2010 16:00

I have exactly the same issue. Closing the lid or pressing power button seems to make the laptop go to sleep but it just seems to power down the screen and not the computer. The screen stays black if I press power, buttons or anything. Eventually i have to hard reboot by holding down the power button. Windows 7 says the PC shutdown unexpecatedely and wants to go into Safe mode. 

I have updated all the drivers and the BIOS by pulling down everything from Dell's website. Still there.

I have done a forced powercfg -h on -size 100 using cmd to maybe force hibernation. Still there.

Suddenly it worked perfectly for a second. 

Then I saw there were new drivers for the Realtek LAN card. The issue came back. Reverting to the older version didn't fix it so it might not even be it.

Frustration! I cannot find a way to fix it and this laptop gets gimped if it cant sleep or hibernate when it's supposed to be mobile!

4 Posts

December 31st, 2010 12:00

I actually fixed my laptop about a month ago from this problem. I just contacted Dell Customer Support and eventually they tried reinstalling the operating system which completely fixed it. I think the problem (as Komsomol has pretty much figured out) was the RealTek drivers which I had installed when I had originally received my computer.

I would definitely recommend Komsomol's fix for this problem unless you want to reinstall your OS.

5 Posts

December 31st, 2010 20:00

Additionally:

I reccomend using Microsofts Fix It for restoring Power Settings. My laptop still didn't sleep or hibernate properly. I must have messed up the power settings. 

The file you need is called Mats_Run.power.exe you can download it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3db356d3-527e-433f-8c41-5295789ec8fe

No Events found!