Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2015 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 Won't turn on unless plugged into charger

Hey guys, 

For the past two months, my laptop has had trouble turning on. I'd press the power button and it'd light up, try to turn on, and then a second or two later shut off. At the start I would just keep pressing it until it finally would turn on. Eventually, it stopped doing that and the only way it would turn on was if I had it plugged in. Once it was on, I could then unplug the charger and the laptop would work normally.

Then, about a month ago, it started to not turn on even with the charger plugged in. I would push the power button, it would light up, then shut off. Then, automatically, it would light up again and try to turn on again, and then shut off. (If the computer's unplugged I would have to manually push the power button for each attempt). With the charger plugged in, it would automatically try to turn on again and again the minute I press the power button once. It got to the point where the computer would attempt to turn on at least 20 times before it would work. This worries me as I'm scared one day it will just never turn on again.

Does anyone know the problem? I know it is not the battery, as I bought a new one thinking it could be but the problem still persisted. Any ideas? The computer is 2 1/2 years old. 

Thanks. 

5 Posts

March 12th, 2015 20:00

I have the same problem with my 15R 5520 laptop. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 12th, 2015 23:00

Hi tpain,

We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
  2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times
  3. you will now be on the BIOS screen
  4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
  5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
  6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Also, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download MyDell from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

5 Posts

March 13th, 2015 19:00

Hello Ravi!

Yea  adapter appears fine, green light is on and doesn't flash. My battery charges normally and discharges normally. I ran the battery test on PC checkup and it passed on everything.

Again the problem seems to arise when I try to turn on my computer. Whether plugged in or unplugged in  it will power on for about 2 or 3 seconds and then turn off. However when plugged in it will power on for 2 or 3 seconds then turn off,  BUT THEN it will turn back on and boot into windows normally (about 50% of the time)

I took the battery out and just left the power cord in and turned it off to see what would happened. When i turned it on (without the battery in), it turns on for about 2 or 3 seconds then turns off. Then turns back on again and then boots normally into windows (about 50% of the time).

So in conclusion it turns "On" then "OFF" in a 2 second span With only the power cord, with only the battery, with both battery and power cord. 

The difference is that when plugged in, it sometimes WILL stay "on" and boot into windows normally. Where if it is unplugged it can never  boot into windows normally and just turns off.

anyways i appreciate your help!! it appears to be a motherboard issue as if something is short-circuiting, but i am uncertain. I also ran a full hardware test, and motherboard test on PC checkup-everything came back fine. 

thoughts?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 17th, 2015 12:00

Hi tpain,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

5 Posts

March 18th, 2015 17:00

OK i downloaded the new BIOS. when i go to msinfo32 it says i have the newest version now which is "dell Inc. A14, 5/13/2013"

So now what should I do?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 20th, 2015 09:00

Hi tpain,

Please check if the issue is fixed.

5 Posts

March 24th, 2015 21:00

It did not fix the problem, the problem is worse now. Only starts up about 30% of the time now.

I took my laptop apart today, cleaned it, and took the motherboard out to see if anything was on it short circuiting it, but I didn't notice anything.

Anyways the problem still occurs and now I'm just leaving my computer on because I'm too nervous it will never turn back on again if i turn it off/ goes into hibernation.

5 Posts

April 17th, 2015 01:00

So what do you think Ravi? Is it the motherboard? or the Power button circuit Board?

1 Message

June 23rd, 2015 12:00

Hai

I have a Dell laptop 5520. When the battery level reached 7%, I decided to turn it off and connected the charger. Few minutes later I noticed that the pilot light on an adapter was off. I also discovered that the moment I connect the charger to the laptop pilot light goes off and almost three weeks now my laptop can't come on.

I have tried a good number of possible means yet to no avail. I also tried removing the battery, hold the power button for seconds and put back the battery sadly nothing seems to work out.

Kindly assist me.

1 Message

September 11th, 2015 18:00

I am having exactly the same issue. My computer is covered by an extended warranty. We have spent countless hours on the phone with Tech Support. This week they sent a site technician out and replaced the external power charger, the connection plug on the computer and the motherboard. It charged to 7% and stopped. It went back to the error message "connected but not charging " . Dell has now offered to have me send it into their Service Depot for repair. The problem with this is I will lose all my programs and many of them can not be reinstalled. In many cases I will be paying $100.00 to $300.00 for the current version of a program we the version I have is just fine. I have even looked for an old Dell Inspiron 5500 that could by cheap just to use as a battery charger. Very frustrating!
No Events found!