Highlighted
Daimonz
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 BIOS update error.

i am having a battery problem so i am wanting to update my BIOS to troubleshoot it.

My current BIOS version is A05 (3-jan-13).  I want to update it to A14.

But i am getting ther error message 'allocate memory for security flash fail!'

The drive where windows is installed has only 5GB of free space.

Could it be becausr of this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 BIOS update error.

No -- 5G is more than enough free space for a BIOS flash.  Is the system failing to recognize the AC adapter (F2 at powerup to check)?

If it is, the BIOS won't flash - this is a hardware problem a BIOS update won't fix -- either the adapter, the DC jack or the mainboard is bad.

0 Kudos
Daimonz
1 Nickel

I just checked by pressing F2 at bootup, next to the AC adapter type it's written 90W.

So i guess yes it does recognize it, also the adapter powers the laptop when i removed the battery, so the adapter is good.

U mean it's because of the faulty battery that im getting this error?? Actually the battery is charging only to 50-60%, after that it says 'not charging'.

0 Kudos
Daimonz
1 Nickel

I checked using F2.  Next to Ac adapter is written '90W'.  So i guess it is recognizing it.

Also the laptop powers up when i use the adapter to power it (with the battery removed).

Also, 'this battery is performing normally' is also there when i checked for battery.

Actually, the battery is only charging til 50-60%, after that it says not charging.

Dell extended battery life is disabled so i know that is not the cause of it.

What might be the cause of that error msg?  Why is the update not running thru?

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Update the Intel chipset driver (link below).  Then reboot and retry the flash.

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

0 Kudos
Daimonz
1 Nickel

Thanks ejn63 Smiley Very Happy...the intel chipset driver had to be updated first.

And the BIOS update was a success.

Now i just have to see if this solved the battery prob.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

0 Kudos