Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2012 11:00

Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520, mSATA replacement advice

Just got the the Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 with 32GB mSATA drive. 

Tried to upgrade it with 128GB (Crucial 128GB m4 mSATA Internal Solid State Drive (CT128M4SSD3)) from amazon.com but the system did not recognize it and per my tech guy, the laptop started beeping. 

Are we doing something wrong or the drive is not supported?

Is there a preferred/ compatible brand out there that you could advise?

10 Posts

December 5th, 2012 07:00

hello

this is quite a difficult questions as there is no compatibility list anywhere  and when you here of people saying oh i got a 256mb msata to drive  to work no problem or oh yeah my inspiron 15r se works with 16gigs of ram they very rarely  mention the brand and model number , all i know is that someone has said crucial 32GB CT032M4SSD3  works and some one mentioned a mushkin 256gig msata drive works.

i too am looking for a 128 to 256 gig msata drive so if anyone reading can shed some light on model numbers it would be very helpful !

2 Posts

May 19th, 2015 08:00

I am looking for a replacements as well. I purchased my laptop 15R SE 7520 back in April 2013 but the msata has failed.  I was able to re-partition it once and get it working but then it just failed again.  I would like to replace it with a larger size if possible but I would replace it with the same size if that's all that works.  If anyone out there knows what I need to buy please respond! Thanks

2 Posts

May 19th, 2015 11:00

I had it replaced back when I bought it (Q1 2013) and it has been working well for me. 

I just bought the mSATA drive online and swapped with the previous one. 

Seems like the drive you bought is a faulty one. 

Just today i saw a deal for 256GB mSATA on dealsea.com for $99. 

good luck. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 20th, 2015 10:00

Hi nug0311,

Yes you can replace the 32GB mSATA drive with larger capacity drive and use it has standalone drive by installing operating system on it and keep the existing 1TB drive for data files. You will need to change the SATA operation from IRST to AHCI in the BIOS and then install the operating system on a larger mSATA drive. 

No Events found!