Highlighted
LimboExile
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 15R SE: slow performance, randomly turns off

I am using my laptop for two months now and something just isn't right about its performance. It is an Inspiron 15R SE and it has i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 2 GB ATI graphics card and Windows 8 as primary characteristics. And it is so slow. Not turtle-slow, but still unacceptable. It has been slow since the first day but that was my first experience wit Windows 8, so at fist I thought that is normal. Then I compared it to the laptops with lower specs running on Windows 8 and their overall performance, boot time, turning off time was much better than those of my Dell. Even my previous laptop with i3 and 4 GB of RAM is faster.

Sometimes it randomly turns off minutes after boot. By sometimes I mean once a week. And it has hard time waking up from sleep mode, so sometimes I have to turn it off manually.

What could be wrong with it? Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Dell Inspiron 15R SE: slow performance, randomly turns off

Hi LimboExile,

Try releasing the residual charge from the system. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer including the battery and AC Adapter.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter. Try to restart the computer and check.

Also, run 'Diagnostics' on the system to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.
  • You may also refer to the video on the link http://dell.to/17DCL0R for more information.

You may also want to refer to the video from the link http://dell.to/153NeEh and follow the steps shared in it to identify if there is any issue caused by software/application installed on the system.

Please update the BIOS of the system and check functionality. Click on the link http://dell.to/1bcCTK8 and download the BIOS. Follow the onscreen instruction to install it.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Saharsh K
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.
0 Kudos
zinne4500
1 Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron 15R SE: slow performance, randomly turns off

You need to clean and speed up your laptop by unchecking all startup items and doubtful services.

Also look at scheduled tasks that are automatically executed at boot. see this for more tweaks : youtu.be/izlp-WZTnLA

0 Kudos