Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

August 8th, 2013 06:00

Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition restarts at first startup

Hello,

Since a couple of days when i startup my laptop it instantly shutdowns like crash and then restarts, it happens when the laptop is almost done with starting up applications and stuff.

After that it doesnt happen until the next time i start it up. 

I cant give further information but that the disk speed is like 100% for like 10 min in the begin because of service host network restriction proces and mcafee auto scan proces, but i dont think it has anything to do with that.

3.3K Posts

Hi Kivancusta,

When did the issue begin?

Did you make any hardware or software changes?

Perform clean boot. Refer the following link which has steps to do a clean boot:

http://dell.to/12nKIFL

If the issue persists, check if the computer works in Safe mode with Networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 at Dell logo. Select Safe mode with Networking.

Also, run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer. Tap F12 and Select Diagnostics.Let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

12 Posts

Hi,

I didnt made any hardware changes or whatsoever, and the problem started like maybe 1 week ago and its always the first startup of the day.

I always have my laptop plugged on and i never have my battery in because i dont wanna use the battery so much when i have electricity.

807 Posts

August 8th, 2013 07:00

To stop the system from restarting...

Goto Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab >Startup & Recovery > Settings > Untick Automatically Restart > Click Ok

This will prevent the laptop from restarting and may allow you to continue working and see if any error messages pop up. You can check the task manager and see if there's any unusually high CPU activity. Check Event Viewer for any messages pertaining to the unexpected restart.

12 Posts

August 8th, 2013 10:00

Thank you for the nice explanation, i really appreciate it.

I think this Skype is making the crash, because i have unticked skype in auto start options and now the laptop doesnt crash and restart.

Is there a possible fix or something, because i dont think this should happen like this.

807 Posts

August 8th, 2013 10:00

No reason to have Skype auto start with Windows so just leave it unticked. You can always start Skype manually from the programs menu. Glad it's now sorted.

12 Posts

August 8th, 2013 11:00

Yes true, but with the specs in the laptop it should be easy to start with it. and i will check how it starts up tomorrow and if it really has anything to do with skype .

12 Posts

August 9th, 2013 05:00

It looks like skype is not the problem, because i have the same problem today again. Its like i have it everyday 1 time and after that its normal.

807 Posts

August 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

Nothing to do with the specs of the laptop. If a program / driver is causing a conflict then it doesn't matter how good your specs are.

Check Windows Event Viewer logs for any warnings or errors that specifically point to the shutdowns / crashes.

Prior to the crashes / shutdowns are there any error / warning messages that pop up on screen? Do you get any BSOD's (Blue Screens)

Check Task Manager and see what's running in the background. Look for any unusual high CPU activity.

If you post a list (or screen shot) of your background processes and startup programs, then I can see if anything might be causing this issue.

Use Windows Task Manager to check your background processes and use something like CCleaner to view your start -up programs.

You could uninstall Skype completely for a few days and see if the problems go away.

Also try booting to Safe Mode (F8) and see if you still get any crashes / shutdowns.

Unexpected shutdowns can also be caused by overheating. Mcafee scans are quite CPU intensive. So first clean out the vents and reboot and see if the problem occurs.

There's no real need to have Mcafee run a scan every time you start the laptop. Just schedule a full scan once a week.

12 Posts

August 9th, 2013 07:00

I dont get a blue screen or something it just shutdowns hard (like holding power button for a couple of secs) and then it restarts. I think it has something to do with mcafee because of the daily checkup, im going to tweak the settings a little bit and see where it goes, i also have a printscreen of my taskmanager after the crash and after it has started up normally because i cant open the taskmanager first 5 min or so because everything starting up and the cpu is like 100% at that time i guess. I will make a video tomorrow when i start the laptop and upload it and post the link here so you can see. I dont know if the Hdd should be around 100% the whole time but mine is, because of the servuce host and mcafee proces and sometimes system.

807 Posts

August 9th, 2013 08:00

Mcafee scans can hog your resources if it's set to high priority, so disable any scans set to auto start with Windows. It's fine to leave the resident shield running in the background.

To find out what services are running under Service Host then look at this guide

www.sevenforums.com/.../4590-task-manager-show-services-running-under-svchost-exe.html

This could be a Superfetch issue - I'm not sure of your OS so I'll include both guides for disabling Superfetch in Win7 & Win8

www.addictivetips.com/.../disable-superfetch-windows-8

www.addictivetips.com/.../disable-windows-7-superfetch

12 Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Ok it just happened again after i stopped Mcafee with his standard startup, i restarted again and it crashed again but just before the crash i could startup taskmanager (thanks to shortcut button on the laptop) and i could see that Amd Catalyst center was using like 90% and that Mcafee was rising aswell.  I dont know if its wise to diable AMD CCC because its a driver for the Graphics card but does any of you think that could be the problem.

And is it possible to send logs so you could look what the problem is? and i dont mean like pc is crashed log but logs that contain more information.

807 Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Did you perform a hardware diagnostic as requested by Dell Rep? If not Boot to F12 and choose Diagnostics. Diagnostic will take roughly 30 mins, please also perform extended memory diagnostics when prompted. Report results.

Seems like the high disk activity is occurring with various programs, which is why I refereed to Superfetch. Did you try disabling that?

If you need to send logs then click on my name and add me as a friend.

12 Posts

August 9th, 2013 10:00

I did the diagnostics nothing is wrong except the battery,but thats because i dont have a battery in, and i did disable superfetch now, i will restart it in a moment and maybe it will be ok.

12 Posts

August 10th, 2013 06:00

Ok this happened today.

I started up the laptop which whent really fast (thanks to the superfetch idea i think) and it didnt crash or something but then i opened the browser and started checking some websites for like 5 minutes and then it crashed again.

I really dont understand what the problem is because its a new laptop, the only things i installed are: Skype,Steam, League of Legends, and VLC player.

After 1 week i had problems with AMD graphics Card but that problem is resolved i think. But before the Graphics card problem it didnt crash or something and it did crash because i hooked up my laptop to my TV back then.

807 Posts

August 10th, 2013 06:00

uninstall Steam, Skype and all your games...Reboot. Check if the laptop crashes.

If not then re-install each one by one and check again for crashes. If it starts happening after installing one of them then that's your culprit.

No Events found!