Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2015 10:00

Dell Inspiron 17 7737 - Still getting real time clock error after replacing cmos battery

Hey everyone! Hopefully someone can help me. I've been having this problem for maybe 2 months now where my laptop would shutdown randomly and give me a real time clock error. I googled around and found that replacing the cmos battery would fix the problem. I tried it out but still i am getting this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 11th, 2015 11:00

If the system is in warranty, call Dell for replacement of the reserve battery.

If it's out of warranty, try replacing the battery yourself (it's a CR-2032 button cell).  Manual is linked below.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the clock chip has failed and the mainboard will need to be replaced.

ftp.dell.com/.../inspiron-17-7737_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

11 Posts

January 11th, 2015 15:00

I am using the one you mentioned. Its a a brand new of batteries too. Still it continues to shut down 

1 Message

May 27th, 2016 05:00

Hi, my laptop is presenting with the very same issue. I have replaced the CMOS battery but I still get the same error and the bios does not retain the time and date. I have spoken to Dell but as my machine is out of warranty they want to charge me over £700 for a new mainboard. This is unacceptable and the mainboard should not fail in just over 2 years. I am now in the process of arranging an independent engineers report which will be sent to Dell. I believe that this is inherent issue/ weak area on the mainboard from the time of purchase.

No Events found!