Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2016 09:00

Dell Inspiron 17 stuck in repair loop

Hi Everybody,

I was only watching a movie when I guess microsoft pushed an update and now my Dell Inspiron 17  laptop is stuck in the repair loop and I haven't been able to find any answers on forums on how to fix this.  Have spent many hours searching and reading but no luck so far.

I dont have a recovery disk and my pc doesn't have Windows 8.  I dont know anybody who has Windows 8 to make me one.  And my laptop came with pre-installed Windows 8.  Can anybody help please?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

January 14th, 2016 09:00

Shutdown the computer--if necessary, press and hold down the power button until it turns off. Then reboot but immediately start tapping F12 without waiting for any screen to get to the Diagnostics. Run all the tests including the extended hard drive test. Post the results and include the rest of your model number. Lots of Inspiron 17 models out now.

You can make your own recovery/reinstall disk for win 8 by using your pc to Create Media. Here--

windows.microsoft.com/.../create-reset-refresh-media

January 14th, 2016 12:00

Thanks Mary G.   I ran the diagnotic tests and everything is works fine.

Dell Inspiron i5748-2143sLV 17.3-Inch Laptop

Have tried tapping the F8 key during bootup and it just keeps going into the repair loop.  Have tried crashing the OS by shutting down when the Dell logo appears.  Did this 5 times in a row and still didn't help.

Tried the link you provided only my other pc is running vista so its not allowing me to make a recovery disk.  Or am I doing something wrong?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 14th, 2016 16:00

You're going to need to contact Dell to have a recovery disc sent out (free under warranty, but there's a charge once the warranty ends):

www.dell.com/.../EN

No Events found!