Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2013 21:00

Dell Inspiron 1720 dim/black display

Hello,

I have an Inspiron 1720 (17" screen). A while back, the display started to flicker occasionally, and from my experience with Dell laptops I suspected that the inverter was on the way out. Sure enough, eventually the display just went black, although some parts of the screen (mainly white or light-coloured ones) were still faintly visible. The laptop goes fine on an external monitor.

Suspecting the inverter, I purchased a replacement, and I installed it, only to find that the problem was persisting. I am baffled as to why this is the case as I was about 98% sure that the inverter was the the problem, from experiences with other dell laptops.

Of course, there is always the possibility that although the inverter I purchased was brand new, that it was faulty. I will try to find out if this is the case. In the meantime, however, are there any suggestions as to what might be the problem, and how I might go about fixing it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

51 Posts

December 28th, 2013 13:00

I'll try once more - anybody got any advice?
Perhaps I've got this post in the wrong part of the forum - if so where should I have it?
Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Flickering suggests it's the bulb that's bad - not the inverter.  Replace the display panel.

51 Posts

Might there be any other alternative? Replacing the display is very costly ...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2013 14:00

Check EBay - but unless the cost is very low, I wouldn't bother - you have no way of knowing how many hours are on the backlight/inverter.

51 Posts

Okay

How hard would it be to get hold of a second-hand screen?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You can replace just the bulb, but it's far from an easy job - and the possibility of damage is high given that you have to dismantle the screen and unsolder the old one to solder in a new one.

New screens go for $50-75 on EBay -- it'll likely cost you $30 for just the bulb (with shipping), so it's not a lot cheaper to replace the bulb than the screen, particularly given the level of difficulty you'll have replacing the bulb.

51 Posts

February 7th, 2014 19:00

Sorry about the late reply.

I know this is pushing my luck, but is there any chance that that 17" screen from the Toshiba P100 is compatible with the Dell 1720? I have an old Toshiba that I could use the screen off it it'll work.

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

May 5th, 2014 08:00

Hi there -

I am having a similar problem...  the strange thing about mine is that a reboot has always brought the bulb/inverter/etc. back to life.  Because of that, I'm having a tough time knowing what the root cause is.

At any rate, here is a link to bulbs on eBay - that was going to be my first attempt at a fix.  Post back if you figured out your issue with certainty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-0-LCD-Screen-CCFL-Backlight-Bulb-Lamp-Laptop-Dell-VOSTRO-1710-1700-1720-1721-/310803951499?pt=US_Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item485d5bef8b

51 Posts

May 6th, 2014 05:00

I think that the bulb is the issue - I just don't have the skills to be able to replace one.

If you do it, tell me if it works.

I have acquired a second-hand LCD which I will put into the laptop on the weekend - I'll let you know how it goes.

No Events found!