Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2012 16:00

Dell Inspiron 1720 graphics card upgrade

My dell receipt says my video card is: intel graphics media accelerator X3100

My device manager display adapter says: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

The program I want requires: NVIDIA or ATI Video card fully supporting OpenGL with 128 MB of RAM

Looks like this will work: nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

Now, will this physically fit into my laptop or is my current graphics card attached to the motherboard?

If it will not work and I need to replace the motherboard, what board would I have to get for the geforce 8400 to work?

*Note - I may be able to find these for cheap so replacing my system is the last option, I would at least like to see how much the graphics card and/or motherboard upgrade would cost.

4.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 17:00

Your video card is integrated into the motherboard.

If you want to have a dedicated graphic card, you will need this motherboard.
www.parts-people.com/index.php

In addition, you will have to purchase the video card.

4.4K Posts

January 25th, 2012 17:00

It's part of Windows when you install it.

12 Posts

February 1st, 2012 18:00

IMPORTANT NOTE

I received my new motherboard and video card today and tried to install it but it won't fit.

The existing fan and heatsync are too big as it needs to be replaced with a Dell Heatsink PM358 and Fan PM425.. Luckily they are only $25

seen here on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370577534341?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So if anyone in the future wants to upgrade their built in video card they need:

1) Video card - NVIDIA Video Card DY445 8600M 256MB Heatsink YY634 (or the 128MB version)

2) Motherboard - Intel Motherboard No On Board Video UK435

3) Heatsync / Fan - Heatsink PM358 Fan PM425 Intel Warranty

Here is a great step by step on how to disassemble your Dell Inspiron 1720:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-dell-inspiron-1720-1721-dell-vostro-1700-laptop/

(Note: I am probably the last person in the world to do this as the laptop is already obsolete LOL)

4.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 18:00

It does appear to be the parts that you want.

Here is the manual showing how to install the graphic card.

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 18:00

Hi Bay Wolf thanks for the fast reply!

I found the motherboard here for $125

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-1720-Original-Intel-Motherboard-No-Board-Video-UK435-HD-Connector-/300652383698

I found the nVidia GeForce 8400M GS here for $14

http://www.redplanettrading.com/Dell-nVidia-GeForce-8400M-GS-KU907-YY634-GM716-Video-Graphics-Card.html

Are these the correct working parts that would meet my program requirements ?

4.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 19:00

Whether it is a good deal or not depends on your expectations. Is spending a $100+ for a better graphic card that improves the performance some worth it?  Are you getting the bang for the buck?

I personally wouldn't replace the motherboard and purchase a new graphic card to get a better graphic card but that is just me.  I'm cheap.  :emotion-7:

I would suggest that if you go that way, contact the outfit that is selling the graphic card and get them to guarantee in an email that it will work in your system.

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 19:00

Thanks for your help Bay Wolf, do you think those purchases are a good deal?

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 22:00

I personally wouldn't replace the motherboard and purchase a new graphic card to get a better graphic card but that is just me.  I'm cheap.

You're preaching to the choir I agree 100%

My reasoning was that I figured $150 was better than having to buy a whole new laptop...

The only purpose was so I could run this software. I suppose I could get a new laptop but that just opens a whole new can of worms...

I just don't know what to do...

18 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 23:00

Thanks for the suggestion. It only means that you need to change your motherboard if you want to change other parts of your laptop like GPU. It is better to have desktop than laptop if that's the case.

12 Posts

January 24th, 2012 01:00

Thanks for the suggestion. It only means that you need to change your motherboard if you want to change other parts of your laptop like GPU. It is better to have desktop than laptop if that's the case.

you're right, only thing is that I don't plan on doing anymore upgrades. I've had this laptop for almost 5 years now. lol not bad eh?

I will most likely be getting a new system by the end of the year

12 Posts

January 24th, 2012 19:00

actually that card is for the 15" model. my mistake. i found the 1720 model though. thanks for your help i truly appreciate it.

so i can just swap in the new motherboard and video card without reinstalling windows ?

4.4K Posts

January 24th, 2012 20:00

If you go through with this change, you will need to uninstall the video driver that is being used now and install only Windows VGA driver.  Otherwise, Windows will not know what to do with the new video driver.  Once you get it put together, install the new video driver.

12 Posts

January 25th, 2012 05:00

ok thanks, where would i find that windows vga driver?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 25th, 2012 06:00

If you download the owner/service manual, it will tell you what is replaceable on your laptop.

That said, your videochip is integrated on the motherboard.

12 Posts

January 25th, 2012 08:00

yep, im replacing the motherboard and getting the new videocard.

but before i physically install that i wanted to know if there was a certain windows VGA driver that ba wolf mentioned

No Events found!