Highlighted
Swurderer
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 : All my exe stops working

Hello,

When I turn on my computer, all my executables will stop working after like 5 minutes, even if i don't do anything on the computer. However music still runs and the mouse cursor still moves. 

Sometimes it says pme that microsoft windows stopped working

I didn't notice any weird noises from my hard drive, but when I run diagnostic, i get the famous Error Code 2000-0142

Windows 10

dell inspiron 17r 7720

intel 7

geforce 650M

What can I do ? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 : All my exe stops working

You need to replace the hard drive, which has failed.  Then reload the operating system from the Dell recovery media you hopefully made (or download a copy of Windows 10 TH2 from Microsoft and reload the OS manually).

Once that's done, the issue will be taken care of - the errors you see are all from the faulty hard drive in the system.

You need a new, 2.5" 9.5 or 7 mm hard drive, hybrid drive or solid state drive.

0 Kudos

Hi SWURDERER,

As advised by ejn63, the HDD has failed and needs to be replaced.

If you have important data, restart the system in safe mode and manually back up any data possible - see this link - http://bit.ly/1LHcO2c 

If the system is under warranty, write me a private conversation with the service tag, your contact details. If there is no warranty, then you could request for a quote for a paid service call - contact our team here - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

You would need the OS media. If there is no warranty, then you could order the media as well - link above.

Keep us updated.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
KenmathisHD
1 Nickel

Sadly, as stated by the other two, your hard drive is toast. How much space do you have on the drive? If it's not a huge drive then you can move over to a Solid State 240Gb for like $60 which isn't too bad, less likely to fail than the standard Hard Disks. Also if you go to your local computer store you can ask for a kit to transfer data from a hard drive via USB, I think they're in the $20-$60 range but I haven't checked. Seeing as the drive is still loading up you shouldn't have a problem transferring your files, though whether or not they've been altered or compromised by the drives failure I can't really say, it's a hit and miss on what files are good and what's not

0 Kudos