Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2017 17:00

Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 Crashed

My husbands Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 crashed. There’s no factory reset option available & he’s having difficulty using the reinstall disc that came with the computer. Can we just replace the hard drive to fix the issue? If so what hard drive should I buy & can he just use the install disc that came with the computer? Will he need anything else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as he’s currently deployed & it’s a terrible time for this issue. TIA!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 25th, 2017 17:00

Run a full diagnostic on the hard drive - F12 at powerup.  if it fails, it can be replaced with any standard 2.5" SATA drive -hard drive, hybrid drive or solid state drive.

Quite a bit of disassembly is required to replace the hard drive on this model - the keyboard and palmrest must come out of the system to access the drive.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

November 25th, 2017 18:00

My husbands Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 crashed. There’s no factory reset option available & he’s having difficulty using the reinstall disc that came with the computer. Can we just replace the hard drive to fix the issue? If so what hard drive should I buy & can he just use the install disc that came with the computer? Will he need anything else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as he’s currently deployed & it’s a terrible time for this issue. TIA!

Given the difficult dis-assembly of the laptop, if there is no vital data on it and this being the holiday season, you may want to consider buying a new laptop. Preferably one with easier access to the hard drive.

If there are important files on that hard drive, you will may want Dell to do the repair. http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/fix-your-pc-or-tablet/ab/fix-your-pc-or-tablet

No Events found!