Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 3000 (3542) window 10 issue (not shutting down)

guys , i am using inspiron 3000 model 3542 .. i just upgraded to window 10 as i saw dell message say that it already been tested but i had problem with shutting down ..

*if i use 1 hour or less it can be shut down but

*after i use 3 or more hour , when i shut down the screen goes black but the cpu fan still running .

i was shock tomorrow morning i wait up, i saw my battery low and red light on the indicator...

*plz help i also just updated my bios to a08 ( i not sure wether is bios problem or window 10 problem or driver)

i even try full shut down but using cmd shorcut  shutdown /p , not help

currently testing turning off hybrid shut down will update the result soon .

24 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

But this update is for inspiron 3442/3446.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Eziokiller47,

Have a look at the official site of Dell for Inspiron 3542 drivers, you will find the aforementioned update at the Chapter called "Firmware":

www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3542-laptop/drivers/advanced

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Thank you for posting this thread.  I had the exact same problem and so far have followed the procedures here with great success!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi I had the same issue in my Dell laptop after upgrading to win 10. I called the support line and followed lot of trouble shooting and nothing changed. I also tried many online steps and still nothing got fixed. At last one tech from escalation team guided me to update the  firmware of the laptop and BIOS to the latest version. I did that and now the laptop is working fine. It is shutting down properly when I say it to shut down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Updated to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (August 2016) and it re-checked the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".  The problem returned until I followed your advice and unchecked the option again!

Thanks for finding this solution!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

same problem bro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi. I am using windows 10 and my laptop name is dell inspiron 15 3000 series 3542 and 4GB RAM and 1TB HARD DISK.My laptop is not shutting down properly.It doesn't shut down and CD rom is still working and  fan is also working and is getting heat.

main thing is my laptop is shutting down properly when I am using less than 2 hours but when I am using more than 2 hours it still working I think.

After 2 hours if I shut down it does not goes off still is working and my CD rom is also working even shut down.

I don't know the correct reason it whether shut down or not.

pls help me

if u know the reason and problem send me in my mail id

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

pls help me

0 Kudos
Highlighted

go to device manager

system devices , click if not expanded

intel management engine interface

click , then disable

reboot (just to be safe)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell's final solution to the problem in question is the following update:

Application for Intel Haswell ME FW v9.5.55.1948

This update solved my insomnia problem to a 3542 dell inspiron laptop running windows 10 64-bit.

In order to be sure i made a clean reinstall of win 10 and after applying the aforementioned update i got rid of the insomnia issue permanently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi, I had almost similar problem in my dell inspiron i3 laptop. Call dell support and ask them to upgrade the firmware which fixed that problem in my laptop. It took very long for fixing this issue and also I spent several calls and escalations to get this solution.

0 Kudos