Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2014 22:00

Dell Inspiron 3147 11.6" - Touch screen 'partly' not working after auto sleep

Every time when the laptop goes to sleep mode by itself and I turn it on again, the touch screen will be partly unresponsive, to be more specific, it is the upper part of the screen. The problem is only at the screen, mouse and touchpad are working fine. Now I can solve the problem by pressing power button to let it sleep and press again to turn it on, but I don't want to do this everyday.

Anyone have answer to this? Please!! I just got it a few days ago!

Thank you.

5 Posts

August 19th, 2015 13:00

Hey, guys, I had the partially non-responsible touch screen (top right part) + 100% CPU. What I ended up doing was a clean install of Windows 10 and NOT installing the Dell Quickset. I repeat, DO NOT install Quickset. Hardware works fine without it and I stopped getting 100% CPU after idle and touch screen works normally. The only drawback is that I get an unrecognized component (ACPI\SMO8810\1), which I suspect has to do with keyboard locking in tablet mode. This isn't the 100% full solution, but I get the impression that the Dell power plan is not coded correctly. Any questions you guys might have, let me know!

4 Posts

July 16th, 2016 09:00

After weeks of testing, trying and searching, I discovered this problem has no other solution than manually disabling and then enabling the touch screen device when it happens. It is not the actual "touch screen" than one has to reset, but a corresponding USB controler.

Uninstalling, disabling some device or switching off power management setting has absolutely no effect. Not installing a particular application (like QuickSet) has no effect, don’t waste your time.

Luckily, the process can be automated. The utility DevManView can reset any connected device. It is also a command line tool that allows to create a script one can activate with a keyboard combination when the touch screen becomes erratic.

The utility "Autohotkey" allows the automation to go a lot further. The unresponsive touch screen problem randomly happens after closing and opening the laptop lid or when the user or Windows decides to turn off the screen. Having this information in mind, I have successfully created a script that launches on every system start and automatically resets the corresponding USB device after the laptop lid is being opened again or after the screen has been turned on again.

1 Message

December 7th, 2014 10:00

Hi, I had exactly the same problem. All I got from after 30 days of service in dell, was money back:(

511 Posts

December 7th, 2014 15:00

Sounds like a driver problem if everything works after a reboot. Go to support.dell.com and make sure you have the latest driver installed. Also try uninstalling the current driver and reinstalling it. Go to Device Manager, locate the touch screen (most likely labeled Amtel, I believe thats what the XPS 12 is, my guess is the Inspiron would be similar), right click, then click update driver. If you have a different driver, Click Browse My Computer and then search for your driver. Otherwise, click use latest driver. If the issue is not resolved, I suggest contacting Dell and asking them to set up a repair for your laptop.

1 Message

December 7th, 2014 20:00

I have the same question, any tech support can help though this? it is  really frustrating!! some areas are not working at all after a little idle time. (dont have to sleep & awake to stop working!) then you have to restart all over again quitting all your work!!! 

a quick solution is highly appreciated! many thanks!

2 Posts

December 28th, 2014 00:00

I have a similar problem with mine.  The touch screen registers erratic touches across the middle after waking up.  This is fixed by putting the machine to sleep and waking it up again, but it happens several times a day.

1 Message

December 30th, 2014 13:00

Dell Inspiron 3000 (3147) worked for 5 days.

My touchscreen would not work at all, then the wifi (external) mouse stopped working.  I checked all the USB ports and none were identifying the mouse usb or any other flash drive.

I performed a diagnostic test on the USB (dell - diagnostics - advanced).  That diagnostic failed.

I opened up the device manager and scrolled down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and double clicked on that.  It listed the usb controllers but some were greyed out.  I enabled them and the mouse (usb) started working and the touchscreen.

It is interesting that when you run a complete diagnostics - Touchscreen is under HID USB.

Maybe this will work for some of you or it was just luck and we'll be troubleshooting again next week.

1 Message

February 10th, 2015 03:00

After resetting calibration in tablet settings i did not have this problem for a day. now it is happening again.. any ideas people???

6 Posts

February 25th, 2015 07:00

I hope someone will get the right answer. Now I guess I'll just have to live with it.

3 Posts

March 9th, 2015 18:00

This drove me crazy for awhile as it would not only turn off my touch screen, it would sometimes invert my screen. To fix it, after a fresh reboot, when the USB drivers are properly shown follow the instructions from http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN290492/EN

This worked for me.

1 Message

March 25th, 2015 17:00

This is happening to mine as well.  More and more frequently. I am looking for solutions.  Have you gotten any insight into this problem yet?

6 Posts

March 25th, 2015 22:00

That's nice to hear. Congrats to you!

Unfortunately, for me it didn't work. :'(

I have tried many things since I started getting the problem.

I have updated my drive. And other things available on Dell website. I also have calibrated my touchscreen. Nothing worked.

It's been only half a year since I got the laptop, but I keep having issues with touchscreen and touchpad.

This is really frustrating!

April 7th, 2015 14:00

After adding an MS ARC Touch Bluetooth mouse, my USB ports and touchscreen also went kaput after about one day (as well as losing my Bluetooth item in Device Manager).  Re-installing all the drivers didn't help, but I noticed that the only item listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager was the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.  I opened properties and it was disabled.  Once I enabled it...wah-lah, everything came back to normal.  I did have to uninstall and re-install the ARC mouse, but the situation seems to have completely resolved, for now.

Hope that helps!

P.S.  Did the OCZ-100, 120GB SSD upgrade and it's a completely different (faster) machine. :-)

April 14th, 2015 15:00

Same issue here -- just purchased this 3 days ago. How can we get Dell tech support to help? None of the proposed solutions worked for me.

April 14th, 2015 20:00

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm having the same issue as you -- you mention the touchscreen going "kaput" which I interpret as not responding to touch at all. The other posters and I on this thread have a situation where only part of the touchscreen (the upper part) is unresponsive, while the rest seems to work ok. If I press with one finger on the desktop in the unresponsive area while the computer is in this mode I can see several spots light up, as if I were using several fingers to press. It is intermittent, which makes it very hard to diagnose, but I don't have any missing USB drivers.

Since there seem to be a few of us with this problem, it'd be great if Dell support would weigh in with suggestions.

No Events found!