Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2015 20:00

Dell Inspiron 3147 2in1. Wake from sleep with keyboard.

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased an Dell Inspiron 3147 2in1, overall I really like my new laptop/tablet but....

A couple of things are bugging me.  I would love it if someone who also owns this laptop could confirm a few things for me.

1. Can you wake your laptop from sleep by hitting any key on the keyboard, not only by pressing the power button.  Every laptop that I have ever used can wake via keyboard although my new laptop cannot.  It seems strange that a new laptop would not have this feature.

2. Is anyone else having ghost touches on their touch screen that closes programs, deletes stuff and causes chaos.  I have found that this issue starts after closing the laptop then re-opening it.  If you sleep the computer then wake it, this fixes the problem. 

3. Also I'm having problems with the USB ports on the left side of the laptop.  Some devices get recognized and some don't.  My IPhone 4 goes nuts when plugged into the one USB 3.0 port, it constantly turns on and off every half a second.  All devices work in the one USB port on the right side.

Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 27th, 2015 21:00

Hi Ben,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, please follow the steps mentioned below to recalibrate the system to check if it fixes the issue.

1. Press Windows key on the keyboard and start typing Calibrate.
  2. Then tap or click Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input to open PC Settings.
  3. Check that the monitor shown in the Display field matches the screen you want to calibrate.
  4. Tap or click Calibrate, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the speedy response!

I tried all of your suggestions and non of them worked :( 

Have you got any other tricks up your sleeve?

Can you confirm for me if this laptop keyboard can wake the computer from sleep? The power button seems very fragile and it don't want to wear it out.  I sleep my computer many time in a day, so this is a very important feature to me.

Another issue you may be able to fix for me is my service tag being "red flagged".  I bought my refurbished 3147 from a dealer here in Canada, they only take returns for store credit, so i'm not interested in taking it back.  Since the first day with this laptop I have had the problems mentioned above.  I have been on the phone to Dell for a cumulative 4 hours trying to get help for my computers problems.  Unfortunately when I tell them my service tag number, the representative tells me there is a problem with my service tag.  I get passed around to different people at Dell for hours, and most of the people that I have been handed off to have no idea what I'm calling about.  So I have to explain myself again, again and again (VERY FRUSTRATING!!!) I think I've been on hold for almost 2 1/2 hours over all of this, one time 1 hour on hold.

Sorry I realize I have been ranting on a bit here...

Any chance you can solve this for me?  I probably shouldn't give my service tag online, but I trust my fellow Dell owners.  Service tag is:<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> [I know it off my heart now ;) ]

I very much appreciate your help and will wait in anticipation for your response. 

Cheer again,

Ben

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 29th, 2015 16:00

Hi acewilder,

Please follow the steps mentioned below to enable the Keyboard and mouse to wake the computer.

1. Open the Windows Control panel, and then open both the mouse and the Keyboard.
  2. On the Hardware tab in the Properties dialog box that appears, click Properties.
  3. On the Power Management tab, select Allow this device to wake the computer.

If a Power Management tab does not appear in the Mouse Properties dialog box, the device might not support waking from sleep or standby. To support this action, you might need to upgrade the driver. Please let us know if this helps

2 Posts

April 27th, 2016 09:00

Any further suggestions, my computer has this problem everyday.  

No Events found!