Highlighted
Nylocke
Copper

Dell Inspiron 3537 having touchpad problems: clicking and dragging things when i don't tap

This is a last ditch effort to attempt to figure out what's wrong. I've been having to use a mouse the past few days on my Dell Inspiron 3537 because of it's sudden, odd touchpad problem. Now, this laptop is at least three years old, and it'll probably be high time to get a new one eventually, but I would rather like to see if this is a small issue I could get fixed and maybe get a few more months or another year out of it.

Essentially, on Saturday, my laptops' touchpad began to go on the fritz. It began to highlight, click, and drag objects while I was only moving the cursor across the screen. I was baffled and I proceeded to see if my drivers needed to be updated. Nope, according to the Dell website, my drivers for my touchpad were up to date. I looked into the touchpad properties, got no results from that, and eventually I decided to see if going back on a touchpad driver update might help. That didn't fix anything and actually removed the entire driver from my system, so I ended up re-downloading the touchpad driver. That didn't help either. Every time I thought I had maybe fixed it, it went right back to highlighting and clicking without my input. At that point, I gave up and disabled the touchpad and grabbed my mouse, which I've been using ever since.

My only other thought is that my touchpad has a dead spot, and/or this issue is just age and it's time to start backing up files and looking for a new one. Any help out there for me?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Dell Inspiron 3537 having touchpad problems: clicking and dragging things when i don't tap

Hi Nylocke,

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

Can you run the Dell diagnostics <F12> and capture any error codes or message you receive.

The troubleshooting indicates an issue with the touchpad and might have to be replaced.

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos