Highlighted
orsib78
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 3542 (Early 2014) video issues

Hello.

I have recently bought this laptop with Intel HD 4400 + nvidia graphics. I have installed Windows 8.1 64bit instead of the Pre-installed Ubuntu. Everything is working properly except if I install the Intel HD graphics driver from Dell.com or let Windows Update to install the same which result in blank screen. If I remove the driver or I connect to the laptop via RDP and disable the driver in windows device manager then enable it then the screen is back.

It appears me a driver issue. Under Ubuntu it was worked perfectly. Please advise.

Thanks,

Balazs

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Dell Inspiron 3542 (Early 2014) video issues

Hi Balazs,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and in the search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then Nvidia card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let us know if this helps.

0 Kudos