Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2016 11:00

Dell Inspiron 5459/5559/5759 BIOS Update Error - WILL NOT REBOOT

Resolution: Dell Inspiron 5459/5559/5759 BIOS Update - Will not boot after update

"No boot drive found", "PXE... Media test failure"

If you updated from 1.0.x to 1.1.5 (or other) and find yourself scratching your head in a panic that your system won't boot up, reboot and press and hold the F2 key when you see the Dell logo (shortly after restart). When the bios settings page opens, click restore settings to default, save, and then exit. Your system should boot to windows now :-)

If you don't care about default Keyboard LED brightness or Fn Lock key default status, disregard the following:

After your system restarts into windows, restart and repeat to enter bios. There are some minor settings that change -- They are minor and don't affect performance.  Under System Configuration, Keyboard brightness changes from dim to bright. Under Post Boot, Fn lock key changes to unlocked.

Have a nice day. Hopefully if you're reading this you already figured that out on your own.

12 Posts

August 7th, 2016 18:00

Glad this thread helped. I'm surprised Dell hasn't posted on this.

August 8th, 2016 10:00

I contacted Delll regarding this problem with BIOS after you suggested it some time ago.  They contacted me; however, my pc was already fixed because of your instructions.  I told them this and am also surprised that they did not respond to this site to let everyone know YOUR instructions were perfect.  Thank you again MUSTARD647!

1 Message

August 13th, 2016 15:00

I almost had a heart attack when my two week old 5559 wouldn't boot after updating BIOS. Thanks so much for this advice, such a relief. I am shocked Dell did not anticipate this problem in light of automatic updates. It will be a widespread problem.

12 Posts

August 14th, 2016 12:00

I posted this 6 months ago and Dell is still crashing PC's. They are either idiots, don't care, or its a way to bill for extended warranty.

1 Message

August 14th, 2016 22:00

THANK YOU!  My mom's laptop just did this to her, and she's almost entirely computer illiterate, which is why she comes to me to fix it whenever there's an issue, and I'm definitely not a genius with computers, but I do know some things.  This, however, was new to me, and I'm so glad I found this thread and was able to fix it.

2 Posts

August 16th, 2016 08:00

Yep - thanks Mustard647.  Your advice saved me over $200.  Sure glad I didn't listen to Dell tech "support".

Wish I could buy you a beer!

Dee

1 Message

August 16th, 2016 10:00

This happened to my Inspiron 17 laptop after a Dell update. I tried a  number of things suggested and was beginning to despair, finally reset the boot sequence back to UEF1 and the error disappeared. Boot up was slower afterwards but has now returned to normal.

12 Posts

August 16th, 2016 14:00

I'll take a beer! Glad the thread helped.

1 Message

August 17th, 2016 09:00

(08/16/16)

Brand new Dell Inspiron 15 Model 5559 rendered useless by BIOS update from Dell SupportAssist software indicating BIOS update recommended, and thanks to you it's up and running again!  I know things slip through the cracks sometimes but how could Dell make the update available WITHOUT having seen this problem?

Thanks again and have a good day!

12 Posts

August 17th, 2016 21:00

Glad I could help :-)

No Events found!