Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2015 12:00

Dell Inspiron 5520 - Replaced Hardrive Now What?

Hello and thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond to this post. My hard drive recently failed on my Dell Inspiron 5520 (Windows 7), and I replaced it by scavenging the 80gb hard drive from my old Dell Inspiron E1505. Question is, now what? I have a couple possible options:

1) I have a HP laptop with Windows 7. Can I somehow create a usb drive(or cd) to reinstall windows 7 on my Dell 5520?

2) If not, then can I download the appropriate recovery media from Dell and put it on a Usb? (or CD)

3) If not, then do I need to order the recovery media CD from Dell? Is that my only option?

Thank you for your help with this, very much appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 20th, 2015 13:00

1.  No.

2.  No.

3.  Yes - you'll need to call Dell to purchase the recovery media for your system - it'll cost about $25 in the US.

11 Posts

August 20th, 2015 20:00

I just called Dell to order recovery media and I was told this would cost $129. When I told the rep that I only needed the recovery disk and was expecting it to be about $25, he told me that was impossible and would be $129 with no other options. When I asked to speak to a manager the line suddenly went dead. I'm trying to get through again now, hopefully with different results.

11 Posts

December 19th, 2015 18:00

Update: after probably over an hour of talking to various reps and being transferred again and again, I spoke to a rep who simply sent me the recovery media on cd. Windows reinstalled and laptop back and running smoothly!

No Events found!