Highlighted
bjagpal
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 5547 Black Border around screen

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am having issues with my Dell 5547 laptop. There is a roughly 1cm border all around the screen which wasn't there before and I noticed it now as my taskbar is adjusted 1cm up but when I put google chrome in full screen it sort of chops the top bar down a bit.

I noticed through google searches other people have had similar issues with Dell laptops however I can't seem to find a solution because every time I try to turn off the "maintain display scaling" it won't let me turn it off. 

24 Replies

RE: Dell Inspiron 5547 Black Border around screen

Jump to solution

Hi bjagpal,

It seems like the video card drivers are corrupted or the screen resolution is wrong. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
bjagpal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Downloaded and tried both. Since my graphics card isn't Radeon that one didn't help. And the Intel one just said I already have a new driver so I didnt install it, unless you suggest I should

0 Kudos
bjagpal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Tried a new BIOS that didn't work tried to reinstall those drivers no luck, restarted the system 5 times...you guys better help me figure out something by the morning this is really making me upset

0 Kudos
bjagpal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Umm...help?

0 Kudos
bjagpal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

helppp.....

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi bjagpal,

Sorry for the delayed response. I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and inthe search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
bjagpal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Just tried this and it didn't work. I'm starting to think the problem might actually be with the LCD display instead of the software, but how would the display know to shift and scale everything so nothing on the screen is really cut off?

In addition, when I turn my computer off the black border is still that same shade of black however the middle part is like a lighter shade of black 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi bjagpal,

I would suggest you to connect the system to an external display and check if the black border appears.

Also, please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD BIST’ to check if the black border appears during the test.

1. Turn of the computer.
  2. Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button.
  3. You will see different colors on the LCD screen. Please check if the black border appears on the screen.

0 Kudos
bjagpal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Connected it to an external display and it didn't appear. Tried the LCD BIST and the black border was still there while the colours were flashing

0 Kudos