Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2014 00:00

Dell Inspiron 5547 Black Border around screen

Hello,

I am having issues with my Dell 5547 laptop. There is a roughly 1cm border all around the screen which wasn't there before and I noticed it now as my taskbar is adjusted 1cm up but when I put google chrome in full screen it sort of chops the top bar down a bit.

I noticed through google searches other people have had similar issues with Dell laptops however I can't seem to find a solution because every time I try to turn off the "maintain display scaling" it won't let me turn it off. 

1 Message

March 20th, 2015 21:00

The product in the product video has the same black border.
It can not be "'fixed''
Some of the photos do not seem to have this which is pretty poor form, but the screen size and resolution are as promised.
Personally, I would've liked a smaller laptop overall, but if it had to be this size, then I would rather small bezels and a black border, than big slabs of plastic on all sides. It makes it look better when its off and I don't notice it that much.

I've also heard people say that this is to do with the touch functionality?? Maybe it gives you a better ability to swipe in from the sides... I don't know.

Still, there is nothing wrong with your laptop. If this is a deal breaker for you, you might have a decent argument under consumer laws to get a refund. They really can't show pictures that cover this up and make the screen seem bigger than it is. But the video was there, and the specs are all honest. 

7 Posts

Downloaded and tried both. Since my graphics card isn't Radeon that one didn't help. And the Intel one just said I already have a new driver so I didnt install it, unless you suggest I should

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

Hi bjagpal,

It seems like the video card drivers are corrupted or the screen resolution is wrong. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Posts

September 14th, 2014 01:00

Tried a new BIOS that didn't work tried to reinstall those drivers no luck, restarted the system 5 times...you guys better help me figure out something by the morning this is really making me upset

7 Posts

September 14th, 2014 19:00

Umm...help?

7 Posts

September 15th, 2014 12:00

helppp.....

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 18th, 2014 12:00

Hi bjagpal,

Sorry for the delayed response. I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and inthe search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Posts

September 18th, 2014 17:00

Just tried this and it didn't work. I'm starting to think the problem might actually be with the LCD display instead of the software, but how would the display know to shift and scale everything so nothing on the screen is really cut off?

In addition, when I turn my computer off the black border is still that same shade of black however the middle part is like a lighter shade of black 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 21st, 2014 21:00

Hi bjagpal,

I would suggest you to connect the system to an external display and check if the black border appears.

Also, please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD BIST’ to check if the black border appears during the test.

1. Turn of the computer.
  2. Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button.
  3. You will see different colors on the LCD screen. Please check if the black border appears on the screen.

7 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 21:00

Connected it to an external display and it didn't appear. Tried the LCD BIST and the black border was still there while the colours were flashing

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 24th, 2014 10:00

Hi bjagpal,

It seems like an issue with the LCD screen you will need to replace it. Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

September 28th, 2014 10:00

I had exactly same issue, and Dell agreed to replace it. But today I saw one more person with the same laptop and same issue. So is it actually some fault or is the screen like this only?

i7, touch display

1 Message

October 16th, 2014 12:00

Same issue here. Got a first 5547 a couple days ago.

The black border was there, but I also had a problem were the screen would occassionally go black with flickering horizontal lines.  This happened for no specific reason.. When opening firefox, when minimizing an explorer window, etc. 

After trying all possible imaginable drivers/bios/etc, I had the laptop replaced.

The new laptop just got here. Although it doesn't seem to go black when flickering lines, the black border is still there, as if the display didn't stretch completely.

I'll post back if I find a solution.

October 19th, 2014 23:00

its like this. i got a replaced machine with same black bezel. they have cheated all customers. i am on phone with DELL customer care. Its been 20mins the tech department put me on hold. I guess consumer court it is!

(for dell staff, you can contact me on <ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed per privacy policy>  if you wish to explain)

1 Message

December 3rd, 2014 00:00

I just got my Inspiron 15 5547 today too and am observing the same issue w/ the black borders.

Guess what, I brought out my measuring stick and the visible screen is 15.6" which is what the specs states on the box. So, I guess this is as designed and probably not a 'real' issue, but it still bugs me that Dell would purposely add a few extra physical cm to the laptop. 

No Events found!