Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2016 18:00

Dell Inspiron 5547 stuck on dell logo

Hi all,

I have just acquired a dell Inspiron 5547 laptop. I believe it originally shipped with Windows 8 but the previous owner has upgraded it to Windows 10. I went into the control panel of Windows 10 and chose the option to remove the previous users data and reset the pc. However mid-way into the reset I received an error saying "there was a problem while resetting your pc" and then gave me a few options I selected "continue, exit and continue to Windows 10" however after this the laptop will not boot. It sits on the dell logo and then goes black then returns to the dell logo. I am unsure of what to do, and when I press F8 I cannot access recovery. Do I need to reinstall Windows 10 from a USB? If I do so how will I activate it as the original Windows 8 product key is not on the back. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 3rd, 2016 09:00

:emotion-2:

If steps fails then I suggest you go to another computer and create a bootable windows 10 flash drive. I do recommend creating one with a SanDisk(8GB) flash drive. By the way, you won't need product key because it's embedded in the BIOS. The system should recognize it when you run bootable flash drive. Please follow steps in link below.

https://youtu.be/lJcXHZc8-So

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 3rd, 2016 08:00

Just to be sure you aren't experiencing any hardware issues, run the diagnostic tool on the system.

1. Power off the computer

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously. You should be on the Diagnostic screen, run the full tests as well. Please report any errors codes. 

https://youtu.be/WDpvQ3qwy1c

If there isn't any error code then I suggest you try the steps below:

1.Power off the system

2. Power on the system, quickly start tapping the F8 key( or any key) continuously for about 10 to 15 seconds, release, wait about 5 seconds, and then power off again. Repeat the process about 2 to 3 times.Hopefully you'll see the screen that give options to "Restart My PC" and " Advanced Repairs options. You can then choose repairs options, troubleshoot, Advanced Options, and then System Restore.

79 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 10:00

I have had the same problem before the windows 10 repair disk will not fix this you will have to basically try to find the ios for the right windows and reinstall windows 8 and then upgrade to windows 10  and i would do a clean install that will delete the partition that is causing the problem but try the windows 10 repair disk first and see if it will fix it but highly doubtful that it will.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 4th, 2016 07:00

I'd suggest you first try to use the option to "Repair Your Computer". If the problem isn't corrected then I suggest reinstalling windows 10.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 4th, 2016 07:00

Just in case....

You " might " be able to download Dell windows recovery image from the link below.

www.dell.com/.../OSISO

No Events found!