Highlighted
zshort
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 5555 Screen flickering when charging

The flickering only occurs when the laptop is charging. It happens when I play games, and I have noticed it happen occasionally when I open the start menu. When playing games, it looks like the flickering may be changing the screen resolution. The flickering does not occur on a second screen when using an HDMI cable. I have installed all of the updates for the device and tried adjusting the screen refresh rate.

Could this be an issue with the power cord?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Dell Inspiron 5555 Screen flickering when charging

Hi there, 

Since the flickering is only local to the notebook and does not follow the HDMI connection (is that even when charging it?) this most likely is an issue with the screen itself or the cable attaching it. However, have you tried updating to the latest BIOS on the system? I know you mentioned updates, but that might be something worth trying first. 

Best,

Brad

0 Kudos
zshort
1 Copper

Thank you for your reply. I updated the BIOS, and it did not seem to help. What would be the next step in diagnosing the problem?

The flickering does not follow the HDMI connection when charging.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Unfortunately this sounds like it might be a hardware issue, but does the flickering follow outside of Windows (so in diags/bios etc)? You can enter Diags by pressing F12 at system startup, and it might be worth running them regardless. If the issue does follow outside of Windows, next would be trying to reseat the display cable. The Service Manual for your system can be found at this link w/ steps. 

I will be out of the office until Tuesday, but please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
gryksm
1 Copper

Hi, i have the same problem like zshort. I enter the Diags menu and the issue does not follow outside of Windows. What should I do?

0 Kudos