Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2016 17:00

Dell Inspiron 5558 Not Recognizing Charging Cable

Hey there! I've been having troubles with my laptop charging. It all started about 3-4 weeks ago when I noticed the laptop said "plugged in, not charging."  Upon restarting it I got a message saying the "AC wattage and type cannot be determined."  I took it to Best Buy (where I bought it) and they got me a replacement charger. I continued to have the same problem, but the battery was staying at constant power so I didn't think anything of it. A few days later it stopped recognizing any power and wouldn't turn on. I sent it off to Dell, and it took two weeks for them to replace the motherboard. Now two days after I got it back, it is saying "plugged in, not charging," and "AC wattage and type cannot be determined" again.  I am getting very frustrated as this laptop is not even a year old, and I'm not sure what is going on with it. Thank you for your help.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 10th, 2016 04:00

:emotion-2:

I like to suggest you update the System Setup(BIOS) on your system. Please click on the link below.

www.youtube.com/watch

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 10th, 2016 05:00

You can also check the status/type of ac adapter in the BIOS.

1. Turn off computer

2. Power on computer, quickly tap the F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS, look under the Advance tab

AC adapter, page 22 - Inspiron 15 5558 Specifications

3 Posts

March 10th, 2016 11:00

Unfortunately updating the BIOS did nothing, the problem is still here :/ 

Also the charger I'm using is the one that came with the laptop, so I'm not sure what the problem is. In BIOS it says the charger type is "unknown." 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 10th, 2016 12:00

" I took it to Best Buy (where I bought it) and they got me a replacement charger "

You check the ac adapter status/type in the BIOS ? Does the LED on the ac adapter lite up ? You sure Best Buy give you the correct ac adapter ?

3 Posts

March 10th, 2016 12:00

Yep, BIOS just says the ac adapter status/type is "unknown."  The LED on the adapter is on and the laptop recognizes that it's plugged in, it just won't charge.  (it shows the message "plugged in, not charging" when I hover over the battery icon.) Best Buy had Dell send me another charger since the laptop is still under warranty so I'm pretty confident that it is the correct ac adapter. 

It should be noted that I've tried 3 different chargers and 2 different batteries and this problem keeps occurring, so I don't think it's a problem with the charger/battery. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 10th, 2016 13:00

Make sure Airplane mode is turn off in Settings (Network And Internet) and on the Task bar

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 10th, 2016 13:00

FIXED! Windows 10 Plugged In, Not Charging

www.youtube.com/watch

Unknown or Incorrect AC Adapter Detected Error Message Appears on a Dell Portable System:

www.dell.com/.../en

How to resolve Battery and AC adapter issues on my Dell computer?

www.dell.com/.../EN;

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 11th, 2016 08:00

"I sent it off to Dell, and it took two weeks for them to replace the motherboard. Now two days after I got it back, it is saying "plugged in, not charging," and "AC wattage and type cannot be determined" again ".

If all troubleshooting fails, you should call Dell Technical Support. Please click on the link below:

www.dell.com/.../contactus

1 Message

April 11th, 2016 10:00

Hi i am also using same model ( dell inspiron 15 5558 )  laptop of my friends the same problem (I noticed the laptop said "plugged in, not charging."Upon restarting it I got a message saying the "AC wattage and change the wattage match setings." )  your  facing is now i am facing with my friends laptop do u got any solution for that please help me 

No Events found!