Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2015 11:00

Dell Inspiron 5558 no touchpad settings

I went to a store to try out this laptop before I bought it, and when I went into the control panel, there were gesture options for the touchpad. On the version I bought, however, there are no options in the mouse properties. I checked the driver and my laptop seems to have come with a generic 2006 mouse driver. I checked dell support for drivers, but it only has a logitech unifying driver. Unfortunately, I can't find information about the touchpad included in this laptop anywhere. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me find information about this touch pad and/or point me towards a certain driver I should try to install.

247 Posts

December 21st, 2015 02:00

I can't say for sure, but I bought a 5558 from Dell and have similar issues. No control Panel no drivers specific to any touchpad maker. Only Microsoft old generic ones. I tried Synaptics generic ones and they indicate they install OK but don't add anything in drivers or control panel. If you look in modern settings control panel Windows 10 you will find controls for touchpad there. So I am wondering if Dell is using some sort of cheap generic touchpad? Obviously its not a Elan or Synaptics because Dell does not provide a touchpad driver for this model 5558 on their web support site. Mine is going back to Dell for refund, they wanted me to send in for repair, but I won't accept having to repair a new laptop I just bought because of a bad touchpad and have to wait to get it back. So much for quality, and I have to laugh how Dell markets this touchpad as "precision" touchpad. Nothing precise about it.

7 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 02:00

I am gonna help you guys.

The problem is you dont have the driver for it, which means you have any OS other than W7 64 bit.

What you have to do is go to the dell support and download the driver for Win 10 64 bit.

Go co control Panel,hardware,device manager ,right click on the mouse driver,the one from 2006, update driver.

Chosee let me pick the driver, go to have disk, browse the location ,click ok.

Chooose Dell touchpad.

This is how i remember it,i am sorry if its not exact but you will handle it.Im sure.

Have a good day!

August 23rd, 2015 00:00

I've got this issue too except the touch-pad mouse buttons don't work either :( 

30 Posts

August 26th, 2015 17:00

Sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea who made the touchpad in this laptop?

August 29th, 2015 19:00

I believe that the touch pad is made by Synaptics. I ended up sending the laptop back as it was a faulty part rather than a driver issue. 

On a positive note, the returns process for Dell was very easy

30 Posts

August 30th, 2015 07:00

I tried to install a Synaptics touchpad driver earlier, but that didn't work. I guess I'll just send this laptop back to Dell.

1 Message

September 8th, 2015 01:00

I also have the same issue. Bought the Inspiron 15 5558 laptop, and it doesn't have the touchpad settings. Does this say that I'll have to send this laptop back to Dell?

September 8th, 2015 05:00

No just download the drivers from synaptics

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 8th, 2015 10:00

2 Posts

September 17th, 2015 19:00

I have the same problem, PS/2 mouse recognised, touchpad now not working AT ALL after limited use upon upgrading to W10.

DELL - PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO AS THIS IS A BRAND NEW LAPTOP, UPDATED TO WINDOWS 10 AS CONTINUALLY PROMTED TO DO, AND NOW THE TOUCHPAD IS COMPLETELY USELESS.

ALSO CANNOT UNINSTALL DELL TOUCHPAD SYNAPTICS PROGRAM AS APPAERENTLY IM NOT AN ADMINISTRATOR - WHICH OF COURSE I AM, AS THIS IS A PERSONAL COMPUTER!

3 Posts

November 11th, 2015 06:00

I also have the same problem if you got the solution please help me . I will be really thankful to you .

1 Message

November 12th, 2015 11:00

I have the same problems. This is the worst laptop I have ever purchased from Dell. Not happy at all!

2 Posts

November 15th, 2015 22:00

No response from Dell but basic touchpad just started working one day. I assume as W10 isn't finished yet they'll be updates to address the issue.

One more issue and I'm switching back to 7.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 11:00

I was able to fix touchpad settings as the other user suggested. I went to Device Manager, found the touchpad (it was under "Human Interface Devices" HID Compliant Touchpad). Double click the device, go to Drivers tab and update. I selected 'browse my computer for device drivers" and it found it. I didn't have to click browse my files or insert disc or look online. It updated, then I searched in Cortana or Windows search for "touchpad" and found Mouse & Touchpad settings. There was now a setting to "turn off touchpad when a mouse is connected," which is what I wanted to do. 

Hope that helps. Btw, I'm using Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 5558. 

February 4th, 2016 01:00

Hi 

Can you check HDD mode, HDD is UEFI / Legacy BIOS mode

If your HDD is Legacy BIOS mode, touchpad no had option in the mouse properties,...

No Events found!