gwhiz2345
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 5558 no touchpad settings

Jump to solution

I went to a store to try out this laptop before I bought it, and when I went into the control panel, there were gesture options for the touchpad. On the version I bought, however, there are no options in the mouse properties. I checked the driver and my laptop seems to have come with a generic 2006 mouse driver. I checked dell support for drivers, but it only has a logitech unifying driver. Unfortunately, I can't find information about the touchpad included in this laptop anywhere. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me find information about this touch pad and/or point me towards a certain driver I should try to install.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Johnnythegeek
3 Argentium

RE: Dell Inspiron 5558 no touchpad settings

Jump to solution

I can't say for sure, but I bought a 5558 from Dell and have similar issues. No control Panel no drivers specific to any touchpad maker. Only Microsoft old generic ones. I tried Synaptics generic ones and they indicate they install OK but don't add anything in drivers or control panel. If you look in modern settings control panel Windows 10 you will find controls for touchpad there. So I am wondering if Dell is using some sort of cheap generic touchpad? Obviously its not a Elan or Synaptics because Dell does not provide a touchpad driver for this model 5558 on their web support site. Mine is going back to Dell for refund, they wanted me to send in for repair, but I won't accept having to repair a new laptop I just bought because of a bad touchpad and have to wait to get it back. So much for quality, and I have to laugh how Dell markets this touchpad as "precision" touchpad. Nothing precise about it.

cezarmed2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am gonna help you guys.

The problem is you dont have the driver for it, which means you have any OS other than W7 64 bit.

What you have to do is go to the dell support and download the driver for Win 10 64 bit.

Go co control Panel,hardware,device manager ,right click on the mouse driver,the one from 2006, update driver.

Chosee let me pick the driver, go to have disk, browse the location ,click ok.

Chooose Dell touchpad.

This is how i remember it,i am sorry if its not exact but you will handle it.Im sure.

Have a good day!

20 Replies

Jump to solution

I've got this issue too except the touch-pad mouse buttons don't work either 😞 

0 Kudos
gwhiz2345
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea who made the touchpad in this laptop?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I believe that the touch pad is made by Synaptics. I ended up sending the laptop back as it was a faulty part rather than a driver issue. 

On a positive note, the returns process for Dell was very easy

0 Kudos
gwhiz2345
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I tried to install a Synaptics touchpad driver earlier, but that didn't work. I guess I'll just send this laptop back to Dell.

0 Kudos
Herblewis77
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have the same issue. Bought the Inspiron 15 5558 laptop, and it doesn't have the touchpad settings. Does this say that I'll have to send this laptop back to Dell?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

No just download the drivers from synaptics

0 Kudos
Anonymous
6 Indium

Jump to solution

<under investigation>

0 Kudos
Host11
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, PS/2 mouse recognised, touchpad now not working AT ALL after limited use upon upgrading to W10.

DELL - PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO AS THIS IS A BRAND NEW LAPTOP, UPDATED TO WINDOWS 10 AS CONTINUALLY PROMTED TO DO, AND NOW THE TOUCHPAD IS COMPLETELY USELESS.

ALSO CANNOT UNINSTALL DELL TOUCHPAD SYNAPTICS PROGRAM AS APPAERENTLY IM NOT AN ADMINISTRATOR - WHICH OF COURSE I AM, AS THIS IS A PERSONAL COMPUTER!

0 Kudos
hashmi001
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have the same problem if you got the solution please help me . I will be really thankful to you .