Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2016 00:00

Dell Inspiron 5559 (i7 6500U, 8GB RAM) Upgrading to SSD

I just bought a brand new Inspiron 15 5559 that comes with Windows 10 Version 1511 and I want to upgrade or swap the HD with an SSD.  I did some reading, a lot of reading and I found mixed replies some which were not applicable to me.  The main issues that remain are as follows:

1. Can I plug the SSD on this model to the optical drive?  Is the optical drive Sata 2 or 3?  Or should I plug it into the HD slot?

2.  How do I go about transferring Windows, drivers, etc to the SSD?

Any help and extra tips or advice is appreciated as well!!!

I thank you in advance...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 19th, 2016 05:00

1.  Only if you can find an adapter for one (Dell doesn't produce one, so you'll have to look third-party).

The optical drive is SATA 3G, so you won't get the maximum impact out of an SSD.  Better would be to replace the HDD with a 2.5" SSD and move the hard drive to an adapter if you can find one.

2.  There are cloning utilities (Macrium Reflect, Acronis TrueImage) you can use to clone the existing setup to the new drive.  NEVER boot the system for the first time with both drives attached.  Shut down after cloning and remove the original drive leaving only the new one.  Once you've successfully booted Windows, you can reinstall the new drive and format it for storage.

No Events found!