Highlighted
NpkDell
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 600m Hard Drive Heating

I recently replaced the original WD80GB IDE hard drive on my Inspiron 600m with a Dell recommended WD Scorpio PATA 250GB hard drive (model number WD2500BEVE).  After having gone through other posts on making sure that the new hard drive is partitioned to below 120GB, I partitioned mine into 3 partitions of 80GB, 75GB and 79GB (the remaining space was left unclaimed).  I then did a clean install of WinXP on this machine and loaded all the drivers per Dell's instructions.  So the system is running fine.

The problem however is that this 250GB drive gets very hot under normal use after running for an hour or so.  So much so that the laptop cover below the left side of the keyboard and the bottom of the laptop near where the disk is gets quite hot to touch.  I have had to place the laptop on a separate stand so as to allow it to plenty of cair irculation from the bottom but that provided little relief.  Nothing on my system is doing major disk read or writes nor is the CPU being heavily used.  I am concerned that this will severely shorten the life of my drive and/or other components on the board.  The original 80GB disk did not get anywhere this hot.  At most it would barely warm up after hours of use.

This is a Dell recommended drive so I don't see what the problem is.  The laptop has the latest A17 BIOS.  I have run diagnostics for the laptop hardware and for the disk and all checks out ok.  Please help!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
speedstep
6 Thallium

Re: Dell Inspiron 600m Hard Drive Heating

Drives run hot. This is not a new thing.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
NpkDell
1 Copper

Re: Dell Inspiron 600m Hard Drive Heating

Drives run hot. This is not a new thing.

Speedstep, not a helpful response.  Read my post again.  I have mentioned that my previous drive ran warm (yes, it's a relative term).  I have also owned many other laptops and currently have a couple latest ones running (XPS's) as well.  The one I am talking about runs very hot and is abormal from my experience.

I would like to hear from others.

At one point, when I rebooted the laptop, I got an error message from the BIOS that said that the laptop was not shut down properly due to heat (even though it had shut down gracefully as far as I could tell) but did not cite any specific location/component.  Diag tests did not reveal any abnormality but those could be only liimited tests.

Please help!

0 Kudos