2 Iron

Dell Inspiron 7000 7579 Headphone Left Right Bleed/separation

I have a new Dell Inspiron 7000 (7579), purchased Feb 2017. Actually two of them. Same results on both laptops.

When I use headphones, signals from both the right track and left track come out of both sides of the headphones. I have gone through every setting that I can find. Settings are set to stereo, and there are no enhancements on.

The tracks play out of the speakers as split tracks. The tracks play out of the HDMI port properly, as well as USB playback devices.

I have tried multiple sets of headphones. Identical tracks and headphones work properly on other older laptops and other equipment. (I am an audio engineer for a living).

Any help is appreciated.

43 Replies
7 Gold

RE: Dell Inspiron 7000 7579 Headphone Left Right Bleed/separation

Hello. On some of the newest models, the headphone plug has to be pushed extra firmly into the jack -- as though the jack dimension is a little off.

Other than that, I would re-install the audio driver and if the problem were to persist, would contact tech support.

Jim Coates -- 16 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
2 Iron

Thank you for the suggestions. I have confirmed the plug is firmly seated.

what is the suggested method of re-installing the driver? I think it's a Realtek driver.

0 Kudos
7 Gold

In Device Manager, expand the Sound...Controllers category. Right click on Realtek High Definition Audio, select uninstall. Do not check the box to remove the driver software. Restart. Windows will rebuild the driver -- it will be the same driver, using the same driver files, the only difference is that it will have default settings. The thing this does is to correct for misconfiguration of the settings, which is not something I assumed happened, but is just a normal step to take.

If you would rather use fresh driver files, download a fresh copy of the Realtek driver from your model's support page. Doing that will correct for corrupted driver files, and will likewise reset the settings to default. Usually, a fresh copy will install over the currently installed driver, but if not, then the current driver would have to be removed.

If you want to try an older version of the driver, uninstall the driver in Device Manager, but do check the box to remove the driver files, then restart. The point of doing that is to remove the files so that Windows will allow older files to be used. You can see  links to all versions of the driver on the Inspiron 7579 html page. The reason for trying an older version is to rule out bugs in a newer one.

Another thing is to "update" the driver and let Windows look for one, but Windows does not always install an appropriate driver that way.

Jim Coates -- 16 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
5 Rhenium

Of the headsets you have tested, are they all the same configuration regarding the plug?  Would they all be considered to be normal phone type headsets or are there some which might be considered less sensitive or more substantial, like over the ear versions?

When the Waves popup happens, you can choose headsets and small, medium or large.  Do those choices make any difference with a particular headset?

What are you playing the music with?  The tracks are in sync so it could not be some sort of echo?

I am listening to my Inspiron 7779 right now and do not notice with my Store Bought music and iTunes what you seem to be hearing.  On one system using a headset I was able to hear all sorts of sounds such as something which could be considered a data transmission and background noises introduced during recording sessions..  Possibly that headset was very sensitive.

If drivers don't help, all I might suggest is going through the settings in Waves and if you have presets for your different outputs, perhaps deleting those and starting over.

I've used Westones, and Shure SE-425. Both standard stereo mini plug (1/8", 3.5mm).

I tried different settings of medium, small, etc. Set to headphones, speaker, etc.

(btw, cannot find that screen except at plug in. Would like to find it in settings)

No presets being used for the headphone settings.

Playback:

I've used Windows Groove, YouTube on Edge browser, iTunes, Adobe Audition, etc.

I've played back various files that I know are setrictly Left or right. Can hear both signals out of both earphones.

Search YouTube for "left right audio tests" and listen to just one earphone at a time.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
5 Rhenium

Look in the hidden icons on the Task Bar.  You can start the Waves panel from there.

As instructed by Dell Tech Support, I uninstalled and reloaded the Realtek Driers.

No change, but now when I plug in headphones, the pop up window does not come up asking what device I just plugged in.

I found the Waves software. When I go to "Dimension" it says no headphones are connected, and will not let me change anything. Though I do hear sound out of the headphones.

I bet the problem is a setting on this page.

0 Kudos
5 Rhenium

If you look at the playback devices are you showing a Speaker device or a Speakers/Headphones device?  If it is just Speakers, you need to reload the driver downloaded from Dell.

If you playback panel looks normal, check the Task Manager to see if the Waves is listed in Startup and two (Blue and Green) instances in Details.

I've tried all the suggestions above, including disabling Waves app. I have the same problem on two different 7579 Inspiron 7000 laptops. Headphones are good. I've tried multiple sets, they all work correctly on other equipment/computers ( I do audio mixing for a living).

after multiple emails, I talked with someone from Dell support today. He went through many settings, all of which I am sure I had tried. He concluded I needed to send in the computer for repair. I was then very clear again that this was on two computer. One shipped from Dell, one purchased at Best Buy two weeks later. After 50 minutes on the phone, he said he was going to research and get back to me within 48hrs.

At this point, I am either convince Dell has a global issue with all 7579 units, or there is a software setting somewhere.

Jimco or Saltgrass, if you think you have any ideas, would love to chat with you on the phone.

0 Kudos