Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2016 05:00

Dell Inspiron 7520 unable to install functional AMD video drivers

I have a 15r Inspiron 7520 SE packed with AMD Radeon HD 7730m GPU

I had a Windows 10 fresh install running quite good with no problem whatsoever regarding drivers or software

And out of nowhere wifi connection wasn't working so well not sure whether it was dropping out or what so i reinstalled Windows 10 only to find out that no matter which video card drivers i install whether automatically from. Windows update or through Dell's support page or even AMD latest drivers it just fails and BSOD Windows

I have tried upgrading my BIOS and even downgraded for last hope chance ,i have tried even installing Windows 7 and the problem persists on both OSes with different versions of drivers with various BSOD errors varying from (atikmpag.sys) which i tried fixing replacing the ones in drivers folders with ones i extracted manually as explained in online tutorials and (dpc watchdog violation)

So i am clueless here

Please help

3 Posts

June 6th, 2016 15:00

I am absolutely sure this has nothing to do with Wifi drivers/hardware idid a complete fresh install whiping my C drive clean and installing everything correctly with Intel video drivers installing ahead of Amd drivers in so many different combinations starting with Windows update or official latest drivers provided by Dell and last but not least drivers provided by Intel and AMD respectively

I am literally clueless here since i updated and downgraded drivers and Windows components even operating systems to go around this problem and nothing fixed it not even  common solutions that helped others with similar symptoms

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 6th, 2016 15:00

From the way that I understand your post the problem with the BSODs, didn't start until after you reinstalled Windows to correct the WIFI connection, is this correct?  If you disable to WIFI card does that make a difference,  I understand that the BSODs point to the GPU and video drivers but I am curious.  If you disable the WIFI card does the video drivers errors go away? If you do notice this then reinstall WIFI drivers and check if that doesn't help. 

Assuming that the problem is with either the video drivers or the GPU, since the problem started after reinstalling Windows I ask what type of reinstall did yo do.  Did you try a manual reinstall or kept your system files.  You may want to try a registry cleaner and remove all of the Intel and AMD drivers from the system and reinstall them fresh or if you haven't already try a full manual reinstall of Windows to make sure that any chance of driver corruption is removed.  When reinstalling video drivers for the 7520 please install the Intel HD 4000 driver first followed by the AMD 7730m. 

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 11:00

It sounds like you have been pretty thorough in troubleshooting the system, if you formatted / reinstalled Windows and have a clean driver installation and are still having the problem it sounds to me that there is a defect with the GPU / system board.  If you eliminate software as the cause that leads only to hardware.

If you haven't tried disabling the wireless card (i admit it is a long shot, but one that can possibly save you having to replace the system board, for very little time or effort on your part) do so now and see if it helps, otherwise I am afraid that you are looking at a service. I wish that I have better news.

TB

3 Posts

June 7th, 2016 12:00

Before the fresh reinstall of Windows the video card was working flawlessly with absolutely no signs of defected hardware whatsoever right now it is just giving me Thread stuck in device driver BSOD any help with that?

I will try disabling the network drivers wifi and others and see what happens

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 14:00

I did a quick search on the error "Thread Stuck in Device Driver" and found this forum thread from AMD's website.

One of the things that it comes up that is causing the error is a AMD program called AMD Gaming Evolved. I would check to see if you have AMD Gaming Evolved  (raptr) installed and if so uninstall it.  Here is another AMD thread with instructions on how to uninstall it. 

Please let me know if this helps. 

TB

4 Posts

June 20th, 2016 12:00

I faced the DPC watchdog violation error three times in last years on my Windows 8.1 and in most cases, I realized it's related to the drivers.

I found a useful article from Google here which could help.

usefulpcguide.com/17082/dpc-watchdog-violation/

1 Message

June 28th, 2016 07:00

Hello, I have the same problem with my 17r inspiron 3737 service tag: FM9PWY1 .
amd radeon hd 8870m and intel hd 4400. I have tried bios, different driver versions, but non of them worked. I always made a clean install before trying the drivers, I mean clean windows 7 install.
Time after time I always got BSOD errors, and im clueless as well. I tried the same things like Epic951 without any success.

I cannot use my laptop for more then a month...

Sorry about my grammar, English isn't my native language.

No Events found!