Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2016 09:00

Dell Inspiron 7537 - Hinge issue

Today morning I was about to turn on the laptop, so I was opening the lid, I heard a minor cracking sound. I checked the rear side - the right hinge made the sound and a gap can be seen between bottom plastic base and upper metal body (palm rest) near the right hinge.
Here is the image of it.

Also check the left side, to differentiate.

I think it's starting to show the initial signs of hinge issue.

I talked with dell tech. After looking at this pictures they are saying the laptop is 2yr old, it's normal wear and tear and they are not going to cover under warranty (I have warranty with accidental coverage).

Does it say that after 2 yr of use the hinge is going to break. How on earth it can be a normal wear and tear. Even a layman who uses laptop can understand it's something not usual. And another thing I handle the laptop with utmost care, I always try not to open/close the lid frequently - may be twice or thrice a week. So it's definitely not normal wear & tear.

After reading these discussions
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19652040/20900898?rfsh=1460821206847

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/245572/Trouble+replacing+Dell+Inspiron+15+7537+display+hinge
there is no doubt that it's manufacturing defect and result of using poor standard material, in spite of the fact the price dell took was premium for this laptop.
It was 81000 INR in Feb 2014, i.e, around 1310 USD.

I think dell must be dragged to court for such malpractices.

94 Posts

April 27th, 2016 11:00

Well, after little long conversation with dell support, they agreed to fix the issue.
The support tech send all the required parts for hinge related issue.
The visiting tech opened the laptop and it was the screw base molds in the palm rest assembly which were broken.
Initially I was little stunned to see inside the aluminium shell it's all black "cheap" plastic. Pathetic.
If this material cannot sustain careful handling, like I do, how it can sustain normal handling!!

@Dell: I don't understand why dell keep using inferior design for critical mount points, like in my case, the screw bases for hinge and bottom base holding screw points. We are paying premium price, we expect premium material in return.

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 12:00

Hi there, could you please let me know who you spoke to get your laptop repaired?

I have just been quoted £363.38 to replace the whole screen!

Better still, if someone from Dell could contact me directly that would be great.

I'm going on holiday in a fortnight and would like my laptop to be portable again before that!

Like you my laptop rarely left the house. This is definitely a design defect.

94 Posts

June 5th, 2016 07:00

My laptop is in warranty. So I called Dell Tech Support.

2 Posts

June 9th, 2016 14:00

I have the exact same problem. I just spent an hour on the phone with 4 different Dell people (out of warranty department, premium warranty department, technical support, technical support supervisor). Although I have purchased an extended warranty for my computer (good until December) they want to charge me $269 (+tax) to replace the LCD screen. They strongly implied that I have caused the damage to the computer. At some point they started saying that this is normal wear and tear due to excessive use!!! If Dell computers start falling apart after two years of normal and careful use, they should let us know before we buy them. This is ridiculous. I am never buying a Dell computer again. This is no way to treat your customers. Deeply disappointed. 

10 Posts

June 12th, 2016 11:00

The right hinge just snapped this morning on my 5545. It is still under warranty so I will contact Dell and see what they say. My laptop is 10 months old.

2 Posts

June 12th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for posting Myrto31.

Dell customer services have completely denied this is a known issue with the laptop to me. I would be very grateful if anyone else that has experienced this problem could also post on this thread.

It is outrageous that customers within warranty should be charged for repair, and in my opinion Dell should also be looking to make things right with customers out of warranty that have experienced this within 18 months/ 2 years as it is clearly a design defect. I thought I was buying a premium product :emotion-6:

I am now waiting for Dell to inform me when a replacement touch screen is available, but I have been quoted £360 ($500!) so will probably just buy a laptop from a competitor.

2 Posts

June 13th, 2016 11:00

I asked Dell to ship the computer back to me. I do not intend to pay $300 out of the blue because their products are poorly manufactured. I will continue using my computer as long as it lasts (apparently not very long).

94 Posts

June 13th, 2016 11:00

Sorry to hear.... just call dell... and dont give up.... it's dell's design issue... 

2 Posts

August 18th, 2016 09:00

Left hinge on my 7537 is breaking seperating the screen from the hinge. despite this and other threads it is not a known problem according to Dell support. Well Dell the problem for you is we purchasers of 7537 have not had this problem on other manufacturers laptops and as we are power laptop users who people turn to for advice on laptop purchases. So what are we going to say when people ask us about Dell Products and service back up?

10 Posts

August 18th, 2016 22:00

I pushed the issue with Dell on my hinge and they finally agreed to cover it under warranty. Then I found out I would have to ship it to Houston and except a 10 business day turn around. I bought a top panel off of Ebay and swapped it out myself in less than an hour. While I had it apart I loosened the nuts on the hinges a half a turn to take stress off of the hing mount. The display still stays at any position and I can tell there is less stress on the hinge mount when opening the display. I believe the hinges are coming from the factory with over-tightened hinges.

For the record I just purchased another laptop this week for my son and it was not a Dell.

94 Posts

August 19th, 2016 10:00

Same here. After loosening the nut, it's little less stressy to open/close the lid.

1 Message

August 19th, 2016 19:00

How do you loosen the nut?

1 Message

December 9th, 2017 14:00

Seems in all this time that Dell has not yet acknowledged they built a faulty laptop. Two things here, well three...

The hinge design is faulty in that the nut will TIGHTEN with use and not loosen. This could have been avoided by making it a cap type nut which bottoms and will not tighten. Engineering Fault.

It only tightens a half turn or so. Apparently it also needs some type of lubrication, just a small drop.

When the hinge seizes it rips the brass anchors from the plastic settings which in my case blowes the top apart rendering the laptop useless.

I talked with after warranty and they denied knowing anything chronic exists.  B.S. The hinges can be found online to buy. The hinge is not broken except over tightens and there is no way anyone should buy the same hinge and have this happen again.

I sent this to Dell's after warranty support after I removed the hinges to look at them. I called the support first and explained I was shipping it in parts. They knew this and shipped it back claiming they were UNABLE to repair it. UNREPAIRABLE they said. I said ship it back I will fix it myself. Absolutely useless technicians.

It is unbelievable how tight the nut got. I barely turned it looser but managed to after soaking them in breakfree for a week. They are movable now and I am using epoxy to repair broken plastic parts and returning the hinges. 

NEEDLESS TO SAY AFTER BUYING DELL COMPUTERS SINCE 1987 THEY WILL NEVER SEE ONE RED CENT FROM ME.

I AM FILING A BBB COMPLAINT ON MONDAY FOR MARKETING A SUPERIOR PRODUCT WITH KNOWN FAULTY PARTS AND INFERIOR MATERIALS. 

i suggest anyone with this problem do the same.

94 Posts

December 9th, 2017 18:00

They must acknowledge this issue and provide solution.

No Events found!