gruss
1 Nickel

RE: Dell Inspiron 7537 - Hinge issue

I pushed the issue with Dell on my hinge and they finally agreed to cover it under warranty. Then I found out I would have to ship it to Houston and except a 10 business day turn around. I bought a top panel off of Ebay and swapped it out myself in less than an hour. While I had it apart I loosened the nuts on the hinges a half a turn to take stress off of the hing mount. The display still stays at any position and I can tell there is less stress on the hinge mount when opening the display. I believe the hinges are coming from the factory with over-tightened hinges.

For the record I just purchased another laptop this week for my son and it was not a Dell.

0 Kudos
tdas777
2 Iron

Same here. After loosening the nut, it's little less stressy to open/close the lid.

0 Kudos
gabusia
1 Copper

How do you loosen the nut?

0 Kudos
champco
1 Copper

Seems in all this time that Dell has not yet acknowledged they built a faulty laptop. Two things here, well three...

The hinge design is faulty in that the nut will TIGHTEN with use and not loosen. This could have been avoided by making it a cap type nut which bottoms and will not tighten. Engineering Fault.

It only tightens a half turn or so. Apparently it also needs some type of lubrication, just a small drop.

When the hinge seizes it rips the brass anchors from the plastic settings which in my case blowes the top apart rendering the laptop useless.

I talked with after warranty and they denied knowing anything chronic exists.  B.S. The hinges can be found online to buy. The hinge is not broken except over tightens and there is no way anyone should buy the same hinge and have this happen again.

I sent this to Dell's after warranty support after I removed the hinges to look at them. I called the support first and explained I was shipping it in parts. They knew this and shipped it back claiming they were UNABLE to repair it. UNREPAIRABLE they said. I said ship it back I will fix it myself. Absolutely useless technicians.

It is unbelievable how tight the nut got. I barely turned it looser but managed to after soaking them in breakfree for a week. They are movable now and I am using epoxy to repair broken plastic parts and returning the hinges. 

NEEDLESS TO SAY AFTER BUYING DELL COMPUTERS SINCE 1987 THEY WILL NEVER SEE ONE RED CENT FROM ME.

I AM FILING A BBB COMPLAINT ON MONDAY FOR MARKETING A SUPERIOR PRODUCT WITH KNOWN FAULTY PARTS AND INFERIOR MATERIALS. 

i suggest anyone with this problem do the same.

tdas777
2 Iron

They must acknowledge this issue and provide solution.

0 Kudos