Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2015 09:00

Dell Inspiron 7537 after restart (or switching on) keyboard is not working

Hello!

I've got Dell Inspiron 7537. Fresh install of Windows 8.1. All drivers and BIOS updates installed form Dell's site.

After I restart (or switch on) my laptop, sometimes keyboard is not working. Only special buttons like keyboard illumination or airplane mode are working. All other - letters, numbers, win-key etc are not working.

Issue is completely random and not possible to recreate on purpose. Can be one week without this problem, or can happen tomorrow.

What I've already tried:

1. Reinstalling Windows

2. Deleting and reinstalling default keyboard driver form Microsoft in Device manager.

3. Updating BIOS

4. Running built-in Dell Diagnose utility (passed)

5. Disabling Quickset from startup and enabling it back.

I have a strong feeling, that it is a software problem. 

For the moment issue is still there. Can anyone give me an advice please?

11 Posts

January 15th, 2016 11:00

After upgrading to Win10 - no issues noticed. Thread can be closed.

2 Posts

March 5th, 2015 11:00

I also have the same problem. has Dell come up with a fix? do they read these forums?

It seems random, as when rebooting sometimes it fixes it and sometimes not. I tried the disabling Quickset which may have worked, but how can I know? Can you leave quickset disabled permanently?

Dell, Please help!

11 Posts

March 6th, 2015 13:00

No, unfortunately I didn't get reply from Dell yet. Issue is random, and cannot be ''provoked'' to narrow down the problem.

Was trying to solve the problem myself and again fresh re-installed Win 8.1 (with secure erasing my SSD), But now, I've downloaded latest version of drivers from all makers of equipment of my laptop. Intel, Realtek, etc. Latest versions. Quickset, however I took from Dell. Issue is still there.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 9th, 2015 17:00

When you two have noticed the problem have you tested with an external keyboard.  If it is some type of software utility that is causing this, it may well cause the problem on both the integrated keyboard and the external keyboard.

When this happens what do you normally have to do to get the keyboard to work again?

The next time this happens try safe mode. Hold the shift key down and then choose restart.  Or start the system up tapping F8.  Choose safe mode from the menu and see if you have the problem with the keyboard.  Assuming that the keyboard will allow you to get in safe mode do you still notice the problem.

I certainly understand that this may be difficult if the problem only happens randomly, one thing you might try is msconfig if you are familiar with this utility. Choose selective startup and then test to see if the problem continues.  You can find more on msconfig here.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

11 Posts

March 9th, 2015 17:00

Hello. I've tried external keyboard, and it works fine. 

When I boot up my laptop, I get to login screen, when I have to type in my password. That is the moment, I notice, that keyboard is not reacting. I reboot my laptop and next time everything is ok. Until next time, can be week later, can be next day.

I never had problem to boot into safe mode, so I assume there is no hardware fault. Also in safe mode keyboard works, but I cannot confirm it will work every time (as I am not using safe mode all the time). Also I can get to BIOS every time without problem.

What I did - downloaded utility called Startup Delayer and delayed all startup items by 5 seconds. Also Quick Set utility. Well, for the moment issue is not coming back (but again, need more time to test). 

I am not a software engineer, but I have a feeling, keyboard is not "initialized" properly during startup.  

Thanks.

Edit: Also, during my "fight" with this issue, I've installed Win 7 64 temporarily. Didn't have the problem back then. But again, issue is random and could come out later. Had WIn7 for a week, or so.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2015 20:00

I will try those tests.  I am familiar with msconfig so I'll try that.  I was able to get to Dell quickset to disable and re-enable,  but like Gunza said it's not consistent enough to know that caused the problem. My computer  is new as of January. The problem has been there from the beginning.  At first I thought one of my kids pressed a keyboard disable shortcut key, but then it happened several more times.  Seems to be random.  Fortunately we have touchscreen  login enabled so I  can get past the login when it happens.

Please advise if a known fix is available.

Joe

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 12th, 2015 16:00

Please let me know if the problems continue and if there seems to be common symptoms that may be causing this.

A12 is the last BIOS revision, if the problems continue you may wish to update the BIOS to see if that helps.  A12 may be downloaded here.

TB

11 Posts

March 13th, 2015 08:00

Gunza, you mentioned that you have updated the BIOS, do you have A12 installed?

Hello! I confirm, I have A12 bios installed.

Now it's more than a week, issue didn't came back. I was also monitoring Windows event log, but nothing related to input devices mentioned there (nothing abnormal).

Will  keep this post updated, if issue comes back.

Thanks.

EDIT: Terry, I don't know if it is related (probably not), but today I touched my laptop body and discharged some static electricity on it. You know, wearing wool sweater all day. There was a spark between my finger and laptop, Then screen went of for a second and switched on back. Should I be worried, or it is some built-in protection?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 13th, 2015 16:00

I am a little concerned that the screen flickered off and then came back on.  As long as the system appears to be running you are probably fine but I would watch it over the weekend and report back here if any issues occur.

TB

11 Posts

March 19th, 2015 16:00

Issue with keyboard happened again :( During "cold start" (from off state).

Reboot - and everything is fine.

My screen is ok, though.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 20th, 2015 10:00

Gunza,

Thank you for the update.

Please go over the process when you noticed this happening.  What was you attempting when you noticed that the keyboard was not responding?  I take it that Windows had not booted yet, is this correct? Was you trying to enter some other screen like diagnostics or the BIOS?  If you where pressing anything on the keyboard what where the keys and how often did you strike them? It has been a couple of weeks, is this the first time that you noticed the problem returning?

TB

11 Posts

March 20th, 2015 13:00

Good evening!

So, step by step:

1. Plugged in my Laptop charger.

2. Pressed power button.

3. Wait until Win 8.1 log-in screen appears.

4. Tried to enter my password - pressed letter buttons on keyboard. No reaction (nothing appears on password enter field)

5. Pressed power button - laptop is off.

6. Pressed power button again, boot-up process started.

7. Got to log-in screen, started entering my password.

8. Password entered, hit Enter button, desktop in Win 8.1 opened.

9. Continue to use laptop as usual.

Before that issue happened again, I logged in Win 8.1 without any problem for like 20-30 times.

Also, I've noticed, issue never happens, if I hibernate my laptop. Only if reboot, or switch off/on.

Also I am always able to enter BIOS, diagnostics without any problem. Keyboard always responds.

It's only after windows boot-up starts. Tried live-USB with Ubuntu couple of times - also no any problem.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2015 15:00

Interesting, do you know if you could move the cursor when this happens?   I am sure that you tried it but if not give it a go, move the cursor to the password field and left click.  Then check to see if you can type.  Other than that we can possibly try a service just to make sure that the keyboard data cable is firmly connected.

TB

11 Posts

March 24th, 2015 03:00

Hello Terry! Yes, when this happens - cursor moves freely. Using usb mouse or touchpad. 

I can assure you, I tried to make password enter field "active" before trying to type. But, keyboard fails to respond not only to letter keys, but also to Win key, for example.

I disabled my password for logging into Windows, for testing. My laptop goes directly to desktop now.

I removed my keyboard today, wiped contacts on the cable with cotton cloth soaked in medical alcohol (ethanol), and installed everything back. We'll see if this helps.

But, I am sure it is not hardware problem. 

5.2K Posts

March 24th, 2015 08:00

Had this problem at one time. Do you have several log-on choice icons below the password box? I found that login did not automatically default to password entry every time. Need to click it before entering the password. Did you re-enable the password and try it again?

No Events found!