Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 2nd, 2016 08:00

Dell Inspiron 7547 touchscreen. Screen is colorful vertical lines only. Fix or replace screen?

My screen developed blinking vertical lines in the beginning to constant now. There is no more blinking, just vertical lines of varying colors. 

Is this fixable or will i have to replace my display screen?

May 3rd, 2016 01:00

Hi JOHNE61,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

* Please try the following step to isolate if it is a LCD issue or motherboard or cables:

1. Turn the computer off.
  2. Press and hold the D key while pressing the power button. This will start the Laptop LCD BIST.
  3. The screen will display multiple flashing colors. Look for lines, distortion, or any other video issues you have observed.
  4. The laptop will restart when the test is finished.

* Please connect an external monitor to check if you get a perfect display.

* Please update the BIOS and video drivers from our Dell Support site: http://dell.to/1VHVC7q

* Check the system in BIOS screen

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id along with the results from the above steps.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum
as it contains your personal information).

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2016 13:00

Thanks Akshatha!

I will perform this tonight and private message you. 

1 Message

May 3rd, 2016 14:00

This seems to be common for this laptop. I have one here, it is a 7347. Warranty expired on 4/22/16. On 4/30/16 the screen started flashing on then off on boot. I connected to an external monitor and it worked like that. I tried to run the display diagnostic, but it freezes at 5%. I tried making a new windows profile, but no screen still. Updated bios, drivers, (video driver failed), then uninstalled video drivers. Website says to try a windows 10 refresh, but it gets stuck at 1%!! Now service says it will be almost as much as the thing cost new to fix it. DAYS after the expiration. Seems like shoddy hardware to me.

3 Posts

May 5th, 2016 13:00

Lisa,

It is very frustrating. I wonder if it has to do with Windows 10. 2 months ago after the first time I updated to Windows 10, I lost my hard drive. Dell had to replace it. 10 days ago, I updated to Window 10 again, now my display is full of vertical lines. Is it a coincidence or is Windows 10 causing users all sorts of problems? I am very frustrated.... so much that I am thinking about smashing this one and buying a Mac.  I have never encountered so many problems with a laptop as I am now.

One more thing about the vertical line problem. I notice when I press under the bottom center of my display, the lines go away and my desktop re-appears. As soon as I take my finger off the lines re-apprear on my screen. Does this point to a faulty display that needs to be replaced?

John

May 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi JOHNE61,

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum 
as it contains your personal information).

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

1 Message

March 27th, 2017 21:00

My Laptop Inspiron 7547 has the same problem. When I press at the bottom center (around DELL logo) the strainght lines go away. External monitor works simply fine. Did you find any solution? Please share

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 28th, 2017 05:00

Attach an external monitor.  If the same fault doesn't show, as it likely won't, replace the display panel.

If you do see the same fault on an external screen, it's the GPU that has failed - replace the mainboard.

No Events found!