Highlighted
janny666
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 7548 - Coil Whine

Hi,

my laptop makes weird noise (some electric, buzzing noise). It happend if my battery level is 100% and AC is plug in. Do someone have same problem ? It probably issue named Coil Whine. Any fix? BIOS update ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

RE: Dell Inspiron 7548 - Coil Whine

What is your Dell model number and windows version ? Example:  Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

0 Kudos
janny666
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 7548 and I had tested it  on Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 15.10. Always the same issue on all OS. 

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Please check the System Setup(BIOS) by typing msinfo32 into the Cortana bar or the Search box. Write down the BIOS version and go to your Product Support page.

https://youtu.be/mWn9YfxtYBo

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Here's your Dell Product Support page. Please click on the link below:

www.dell.com/.../drivers

0 Kudos
janny666
1 Nickel

BIOS Version : Dell Inc. A05, 20.07.2015

I already have the newest version of BIOS. 

0 Kudos
lampra
1 Copper

Hi, I have the same problem using Ubuntu 14.04 dual boot with win10.

One way to overpass his problem after boot is to logout from ubuntu and login again.

I get this error from dmesg:

[   41.044920] [drm:si_dpm_set_power_state] *ERROR* si_upload_sw_state failed
[   43.865577] [drm:gen8_irq_handler] *ERROR* Pipe A FIFO underrun

Edit: Logout and login just resets brightness. It seems that the issue appears when brightness is set to less than a half. So increase the brightness to overpass the problem until Dell solves it.

0 Kudos
janny666
1 Nickel

I called to servise center, they told me, it is known issue. They dont have any fix for that. My motherboard was replaced but it didnt help. 

0 Kudos
GambitGR
1 Copper

This kinda old post but I just found the reason of the coil whine. At least for my 7548 its the Monitor dim. I dont like brightness at night so I have my monitor dimmed at about 50%. Specially when there's no other noise around I can hear that annoying whine from the notebook (7548 touch screen fhd etc etc). When it was under warranty I was calling service but there was no whine because all the calls where in the day time and there were no whine because at those times I had the brightness full. So I couldnt explain to dell why its happening. Im writing now because I just realized it accidentally. Having brightness at less than 75% whines. 75% + No whine. (Im having this issue only when ac is plugged). Hope it helps if you havent thrown away this awful laptop yet.

0 Kudos