Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 25th, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 7567 using built-in microphone instead of headset microphone

Hi everyone,

So, my computer uses my built-in microphone instead of my headset's (a Razer Kraken Pro - in case this is helpful information) for sound recording and chatting in games. I have followed recommended procedures throughout the web, but none of them seemed to help me in any way. Can someone assist me? 

Cheers,

Victor Hofstetter

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 26th, 2017 06:00

Razer Kraken Pro

That is an analog headset that plugs into the laptop's combo audio jack with a 3.5 mm TRRS (4 segment) plug, correct?

I have followed recommended procedures throughout the web,

Hello Victor. Please say what you have tried as we don't know what you saw on the web, and state the operating system of the laptop.

Our basic recommendation for most audio problems is to start by reinstalling the Intel Chip Software driver and then the Realtek audio driver. Can't provide links because don't know the OS you have. Supported OSes are 7, 8.1, and 10.

In the case of external mic problems, the basic recommendation is to try other mics to rule out device failure. Or try the device in a different laptop to confirm functionality.

In a Dell laptop with Realtek audio, when you insert a plug into the combo jack you should see a popup dialog on the screen that asks you to select the type of device you are using, which would be headset. If you don't see the popup you might have to find the setting to allow that. It should be in Dell Audio or WavesMaxx -- I don't know exactly what the Inspiron 7567 shows you in that regard.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2017 07:00

The issue was WavesMaxx audio. As jimco stated, WavesMaxx has a pop-up that will ask which kind of device you are using. Without noticing, I had the "Headphones" option checked, being the slash inbetween "Headphones" and "Headset" and actual option divider. I thought it was a "hybrid-option" kind of thing. You have to actually click the text that reads "Headset", and when it turns blue, you've got your device selected. Thanks to jimco for the help.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2017 07:00

That is an analog headset that plugs into the laptop's combo audio jack with a 3.5 mm TRRS (4 segment) plug, correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Hello Victor. Please say what you have tried as we don't know what you saw on the web, and state the operating system of the laptop.

I've tried checking my recording devices to make sure I didn't have a different one as default, making sure my headset mic wasn't muted and checking the product manual for any special drivers I could possibly need to install manually from the Razer Website. The laptop is running Windows 10.

I should also state that I am using third-party software to manage my audio inputs and outputs (Voicemeeter), even though it doesn't seem to be the problem, at first glance. I will try the procedures you suggested and keep you in the loop with the results.

Many thanks,

Victor Hofstetter

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 26th, 2017 08:00

Funny, my 7567 has not been able to use an external microphone for quite a while.  The popup shows changing to a headset but the microphone does not work.  It may seem like it is working since the built-in ones will pick up audio.  The output device does switch to headphones and behaves normally.

I checked my XPS 13 9365 and it will popup but not change the device.  Even so, the output does switch to the headphones even while still showing speakers.  Again, I don't believe the external Microphone is working.

Maybe the 1709 build upgrade had an effect I had not noticed but it seems some more research is necessary.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 26th, 2017 09:00

Thanks to jimco for the help.

Hello Victor. If you think my reply was instrumental in resolving your issue, I would appreciate it if you marked it as the answer by clicking "Yes":

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 26th, 2017 12:00

Just for info, it appears my systems no longer need the popup to change from internal speakers to headset outputs.  You will want to use either the popup or UI to set configurations for a specific device.  But it seems they have disabled the microphone input for external, wired headsets/headphones.  Bluetooth devices still work normally,

One warning, if the system continues to display the internal speakers when a headset is plugged in, I experienced some distortions during playback ...

No Events found!