Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2013 03:00

Dell Inspiron 7720 SE - Gpu boost is turning off

I have decided to create a new post regarding this issue, which wasn´t solved at last bios update (A12)..

GPU boost (OC to 835MHZ) is not working anymore and stick the frequency at default level all the time (745MHZ).

This happens when this laptop is disconnected from AC and it´s permanent stuck till you remove and re-insert the battery to reset somekind of memory.

I would understand if this feature will work on battery to save energy, but this is clearly a bug and after reconnecting AC, it should enable GPU boost again, but it doesn´t.

So, everytime i accidentally disconnect my laptop from power supply, my GPU boost is turned off and i have to painfully turn off the laptop and re-insert the battery to make it work again.

Many users registered this issue on forums all around the world... Please, don´t say it´s a feature to protect the laptop....

Thanks for your help!

56 Posts

May 20th, 2013 07:00

I'll check the thread you provided later this day and I'll post my observation on this topic after hour or two of assassins creed brotherhood. Maybe post some graph of temps, frequencies and temperatures if I found out something useful.

51 Posts

@mir77 , I dont think I have personally seen my GPU boost disabled due to heat although I do run my laptop with the rear raised to allow more airflow and that reduces GPU temps by about 4-5 degrees C. I havent yet done a lot of gaming on my 7720 as yet. I have read that it may be throttled at around 80 degrees but not sure on that.

I have also heard that setting CPU max to 99% may stop the GPU from switching boost off when unplugged, havent tried that yet though. There is more on this at forum.notebookreview.com/.../675037-dell-17r-n7720-se-user-review-116-print.html

74 Posts

No, setting CPU max to 99% doesn´t solve the GPU boost issue, i have this 99% fix set all the time on balanced power mode, because CPU boost is not necessary in most cases.

51 Posts

May 20th, 2013 08:00

other sources say GPU is throttled at 90 degrees C, so not sure which one is correct.

56 Posts

June 5th, 2013 05:00

I see nothing is happening :(

51 Posts

June 5th, 2013 19:00

My contact has asked for my service tag in the last few days so something is still happening behind the scenes.

56 Posts

June 6th, 2013 02:00

So send him my service tag too ;)

13 Posts

June 10th, 2013 05:00

any news yet? so annoying bug that im thinking about leaving this to be my last product from dell.

51 Posts

June 11th, 2013 21:00

No news other than my contact has received my service tag details and will keep me posted. He was very good last time with the "no wake on USB activity" bug so hopefully he is able to follow this one through as well.

35 Posts

June 19th, 2013 14:00

I'm the unhappy owner of a new 17R SE that is 3 weeks old.  I can't believe they are still selling this (and I bought it) with almost a year's worth of problems.  Wish I had seen this first.  Can you share your WEI scores.  Mine are 5.9 for desktop graphics and 6.6 for Gaming Graphics.   Thanks!

51 Posts

June 26th, 2013 05:00

My desktop graphics also scores 5.9 and 3D is 6.8 (windows 8) however Im not sure if it takes the GT650m into account when taking that measure or if its simply testing the Intel HD 4000.

51 Posts

June 26th, 2013 05:00

Ok, Ive been unable to get on the community for the last week or so due to some password issues but have received notification from my Dell contact that they need some cooperation from customers in the USA in order to track down this bug. Im in Australia so apparantly not a suitable candidate.

My understanding is that they will need to get one of the offending 7720 Inspirons into their labs so they can replicate the problem as they are unable to do so with their test systems.

It is my understanding that he may have already contacted some of you directly from this thread but have had no positive responses yet from a USA customer.

So....  any USA users out there willing to stick their hand up? Im unsure as to what the procedure will be in terms of testing/replacement laptop etc. Once again, unsure as to why he is not commenting directly in this thread and have requested he does so.

51 Posts

June 27th, 2013 22:00

Still looking for a USA based customer with this issue. Please acknowledge if you fit this description or we risk never having the issue fixed.

My understanding is without being able to "capture" an affected laptop they cannot proceed with a fix as they have been unable to replicate the issue in their labs.

It appears my Dell contact usually works outside of this particular forum area which perhaps explains why he has had no direct input here, but I thank him for his efforts so far and hopefully we can find a USA customer or two willing to help out.

1 Message

July 5th, 2013 01:00

Unfortunately I am in sweden (which makes this post pretty meaningless, but hoping the bump will help). American friends! For the greater good, please reach out! :)

PS. I will paypal-buy a coffee to whoever will be our savior. Rather strange though, that they can't replicate the bug or get hold of an ordinary 7720 themselves..

11 Posts

July 5th, 2013 01:00

we don't speak de deutsch?

No Events found!