Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2010 02:00

Dell Inspiron 9300 Will Not Boot Up

Hi all,

My Dell Inspiron 9300 will not boot up. At first I thought it was something to do with my battery as it is beyond useless and it needs A/C power constantly.

When it first happened, I took the battery out and it booted up as normal. After around 10-15mins, system froze and had to turn it off by holding down the power button. It then took around 5mins until it would boot up again.

This happened two or three times but now it will not boot up at all, no matter how long it is left for. This is exactly what happens:

• Turn on, all LED lights flash
  • Caps Lock light continues to flash after rest go out, Bluetooth light stays on, Power and Disk lights on
  • Dell start-up screen does not appear
  • Cuts out and makes same 'wind down' noise as when it turns off after successful shutdown

It's 4.5 years old so I'm thinking it may not be worth spending cash on but if solution is relatively simple then it's worth a shot. I'm running WIndows XP SP3. I've had a quick read of other forums - no recent software or hardware installations have been made, although I was downloading at the time and only this week switch broadband providers.

Any help and advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DK

2 Posts

August 30th, 2010 03:00

I see that its the startup screen that does not appear....by which you mean the boot screen...

a. Could you please specify if you are able to go to the BIOS (DEL key or F2 or F8 -- mostly del key)

If you are able to go please check the fan speed....See if it runs... I am clueless on the way you have put up the description..."Cuts out and makes same 'wind down' noise as when it turns off after successful shutdown" Plesae define successfull shutdown. Shutdown is success only if you are doing it...Not if the system is automatically doing it. I think you mean it just turns off.

Next : Insert the windows XP CD and see if the boot happens from windows XP CD. if it happens then keep the boot idle for sometime and see if XP installs. If its not BIOS then its windows corruption. Reinstall Windows XP.

Still it just shuts off then go to the last sentence of my post.

b. If your BIOS itself is not working and as i can see from your description that the power is fine then Its motherboard problem time. i think your warrenty should have expired by now. There maybe multiple reasons but if the BIOS is not working then its corrupted and the only way to fix it is to send it back to DELL and let them see the problem.

Since the warranty has expired then you have the freedom to fiddle with the laptop. Split apart the laptop and boot it....See if there is a leaky capacitor and replace it.(i hope you know what a leaky capacitor is...and replacing only requires solder, soldering iron and the appropriate capacitor. Mostly this should be the problem and can be done within your home vicinity itself.)

No Events found!